Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Louis Rams Free Agent Options: Buffalo Billsí Jairus Byrd

throwback St. Louis Rams Free Agent Options: Buffalo Billsí Jairus Byrd

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

St. Louis Rams Free Agent Options: Buffalo Billsí Jairus Byrd

The Rams have met with Dick Jauron about the vacant defensive coordinator position in St. Louis. Jauron has spent decades in the NFL, and held a litany of coaching jobs with several different teams. What could his head coaching gig in Buffalo mean for the Rams?

By Brandon Bate
    http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/2/...on-jairus-byrd

Jauron was the Head Coach in Buffalo from 2006-2009. Heading into what would be his final season with the organization, the Bills drafted Jairus Byrd with their 2nd round pick; 42nd overall. Byrd, for the first time in his young career, is a free agent. According to Brian Galliford - over at Buffalo Rumblings - the Bills have yet to begin contract negotiations with their talented young safety.

Itís no secret that the Rams, who have more questions than answers at the position, could certainly use the services of an elite-level safety to shore up their secondary. Byrd, who made the Pro Bowl in 2012 [albeit as an alternate for Ed Reed], has had a tremendous start to his career.

If you werenít interested in Byrd, Iíll re-direct your eyes to the "INT" column above. Heís amassed 18 INTís over his first four years; nine of which came in his rookie campaign. Prior to that, the Oregon product had tallied 17 INTís in his first three seasons in college football. A Ďball hawkí in the Rams secondary would be welcomed. Craig Dahl and Quintin Mikell have combined for 11 INTís over the past four years. The majority of those [5], came from MikellÖwhile he was in Philadelphia.

If his affiliation with Dick Jauron isnít enticing, Byrd is already familiar with the St. Louis Rams organization. Jairusí father - Gil Byrd - was an assistant coach [secondary] for the Rams in 2005. It was at that time, when Jairus was still in high school, he met his mentor: Rams great, eight-time Pro Bowler, Aeneas Williams. The two are so close, Byrd even refers to him as ďUncle Aeneas." Hereís what Williams - a close friend of the Byrd family - had to say about the rookie:
    I think he can be an All-Pro consistently. I think he has the ability.

What makes you an impact player is when that offensive team, going into their game plan during the week, has to account for you. I believe he's definitely one of those guys that - if they're not already accounting for him - they're at least acknowledging 'You need to know where 31 is.' They [Buffalo] got first round talent.

It could be a long shot for the Rams to land a top-tier Safety like Jairus Byrd. Dick Jauron hasnít been signed by the Rams, and even if he were to get the gig, thereís no guarantee Byrd would be a sought after by the Rams organization. Clearly, his body of work speaks for itself, and Iím guessing that several organizations are drooling over the idea of adding him to their secondary.

The odds of Byrd leaving Buffalo are probably slim. And though the 2013 NFL draft appears to be loaded with talent at the Safety position, he is a proven commodity. The Rams donít have a lot of cap room to make big splashes in the Free Agency pool in 2013. This would be one that would get my endorsement. Iíd be willing to bet it would get one from a Rams legend, as well.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........................

Die Hard Fan Since '73

He is our most important player to resign... Hope it gets done.. If not thank god we have the Franchise tag.

According to Brian Galliford - over at Buffalo Rumblings - the Bills have yet to begin contract negotiations with their talented young safety.
    What? This better be wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyFan View Post
    I can believe it!! Thats what we do, we will give him a call March 11th right before free agency and he will walk.

Here's his stats compared to Ed Reed, nearly identical with more takeaways then Reed in his first 4 years.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showt...y-The-Numbers*

Honestly tho, imo just the vibe I get from his interviews I dont think he wants to be a Bill. Cant blame him really,

If we cant get him our D is screwed, that would destroy our secondary.
    2012 D-Line = Bad things man.. I mean bad things

geez u guys are funny.....he's not going anywhere...........that is def one thing I'm not worried about.

I am not worried about byrd, the tag is so cheap

I'm not worried about losing him this year or even next (just tag him twice, the limit), I just really hope he signs a long term contract with us. I've heard he wants to test free agency, which obviously I'd rather he never do.

I feel like we can make the cap room for him, one way or another. Aside from Mario, who is really a top payed player on our squad? Fitz is as good as gone (although his cap hit is minimal). I know Stevie has a relatively big contract (for buffalo), but it's only like the 15th highest in the league or something like that. Anderson and Brad Smith get paid, I know that, along with Levitre likely wanting a good chunk of change.

But, we have so many guys picked from practice squads and late rounders that we can't be paying that much, right?
    -G

"I don't like the Dolphins, I don't like the Jets, I don't like the m- f- Patriots! I don't like the Browns 'cuz they start with a B! Let's go Bills Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba Bills, Let's go Bills!" -If you hear this being cheered at Bills games... I am likely the one you are hearing!

No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk20 View Post
    He is our most important player to resign... Hope it gets done.. If not thank god we have the Franchise tag.
    QFT. If we have to let Andy go to keep Byrd, then you do it. We lose Byrd and we instantly need two starting safeties, and we won' get them this year. Guards are much easier to replace.

The world is comprised of three types of people:
    1. Wolves
    2. Sheep
    3. Those that protect the Sheep from the Wolves
    Proud to be a lifelong member of category #3

The human race is doomed when the forces of good refuse to aggressively confront the forces of evil.

Agreed, Levitre's durable and good but he would be much easier to replace then finding a safety with Byrds talent.
    2012 D-Line = Bad things man.. I mean bad things

Exciting to finally have a player we are scared to lose ad that might actually be sought after aggressively by other teams.

Moving on up!

Moving on up, but I certainly don't want us to become an NFL farm team...
    2013 Buffalo Bills Football! Nothing gets better than driving up to the Ralph,the smell of Charcoal at 8am on a gameday morning, and of course WINNING!

He will be tagged

Byrd will remain a Bill, at least for this year. The tag will be placed on the guy and not for nothing, Nix has shown me a lot in terms of keeping talent in house. Plus, the money they threw around last off-season... I feel comfortable they will be able to retain Byrd.
    I LOVE ME SOME ME
    Adopt a Bill 2012- Cordy Glenn
    Adopt a Bill 2013- Mario Williams
    Adopt a Bill 2014- Sammy Watkins
    Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Emerson

Byrd is an absolutely must resign. You can lose good guards and still compete. Case in point Baltimore who lost Ben Grubbs, who is much better than Levitre. Baltimore replaced him fine. An Ed Reed type of safety is impossible to replace.
    Sammy Freakin Watkins

Byrd is the best player on this defense. Pettine knows that. Byrdman isn't going anywhere.

Remember when Bills' fans were angry and confused when Byrd was picked in the 2nd round of the Draft...

Quote Originally Posted by mrbojanglezs View Post
    I am not worried about byrd, the tag is so cheap
    This.....

Signing Levitre will be more difficult as the franchise tag will be somewhere around $9M as they don't specify LG in the tag. Even if they did, Levitre has played LT and center for us so even if there was such a distinction, he could point that out.

When you LG is also a serviceable LT...he's gonna get paid. Between not playing several aging and iffective player, not having Merriman's salary on the roster and probably some restructuring done by Fitz...there's enough money to get Byrd, Levitre and a FA LB signed.
    The day we start seeing the Bills known as the "Wide Right" team again will be the best day Bills fans will have had in over 14 years. Give that a think.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyFan View Post
    I am pretty sure they have talked but if Byrd wants to test the market they really haven't gotten serious yet

Quote Originally Posted by jcmccall View Post
    This.....

Signing Levitre will be more difficult as the franchise tag will be somewhere around $9M as they don't specify LG in the tag. Even if they did, Levitre has played LT and center for us so even if there was such a distinction, he could point that out.

When you LG is also a serviceable LT...he's gonna get paid. Between not playing several aging and iffective player, not having Merriman's salary on the roster and probably some restructuring done by Fitz...there's enough money to get Byrd, Levitre and a FA LB signed.
    I highly doubt he wants to mention his time at Center. The dude flat out can't snap the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Billzgobowlin View Post
    I highly doubt he wants to mention his time at Center. The dude flat out can't snap the ball.
    True, but I respected that he did it. I gotta look back, but was one of the games a Pats game? I can't remember.

If he played in NYC, he'd be in the probowl, and for a couple seasons now. You gotta wonder if and how that plays into a guy's mind.
    The day we start seeing the Bills known as the "Wide Right" team again will be the best day Bills fans will have had in over 14 years. Give that a think.