Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Logic dictates more cuts to come, but we all need to relax.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,560

    Default Logic dictates more cuts to come, but we all need to relax.

    Buffalo Bills

    FREE iPad Download

    Lots of people wondering who will be cut next and when.

    There will be more. But the timing of the cuts will have everything to do with the business of running a football team, and not pandering to BBMB members' impatience.

    It is interesting Barnett and Wilson were cut now and this likely had something to do with them getting into the FA market. Maybe they negotiated it if they felt they would be cut eventually anyway -we'll never know.

    Sit back and relax. More cuts will come, but many of them won't happen until replacements are brought in.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9,508

    Default

    Great post and you are 100% correct. Everybody is anxious and when the anxiety festers people tend to turn on one and other. It's unnecessary. Fact, the Bills have their cut list in place. Fact, there is a reason they haven't released those on the list yet. Everyone is surprised, understandably, but when you release players with any noted previous injury there can be complications. If you release players without aligning and ensuring a path to replace them, you do no justice to your organization. The next cuts will dictate the Bills direction in FA and the draft. My best advice is to ignore the press and the opinions and let what should be, an amazing offseason, play out. Don't rob yourselves or each other as Bills fans, of the potential excitement. The common thread that strings you together is your love for the Buffalo Bills. Everyone has suffered. No need to add to someone's suffering with hate or disrespect...



    DFT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Georgia
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Terrence McGee.............gone, too tired
    Brad Smith....................gone, too expensive, no role any longer, WAY OVERPAID
    Chris Kelsay...................gone, didn't fit last time we went 3-4
    Mark Anderson...............gone (maybe) those knees
    Mike Caussin..................gone, not needed, gonna get someone else
    Fitz...............................gone, you know, as soon as we sign any other QB

    A couple others that just don't fit the New Age Bills

    Patience

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stormin View Post
    Terrence McGee.............gone, too tired
    Brad Smith....................gone, too expensive, no role any longer, WAY OVERPAID
    Chris Kelsay...................gone, didn't fit last time we went 3-4
    Mark Anderson...............gone (maybe) those knees
    Mike Caussin..................gone, not needed, gonna get someone else
    Fitz...............................gone, you know, as soon as we sign any other QB

    A couple others that just don't fit the New Age Bills

    Patience
    McGee- Agreed
    Smith- I think he has value as a WR/KR... need to restructure and keep, IMO.
    Kelsey- God, I hope!
    Anderson- Not worth a cut, it wouldn't save us any money.
    Caussin- Who? j/k, but this is not a big deal.
    Fitz- I don't think he will be cut, another restructure, IMO... even though I would be ok with starting at square one at QB.

    I'll add...
    McIntyre- His 3 ST tackles aren't hard to replace... Dickerson was good last year in his limited time.
    All WRs (not named Smith, Johnson, Graham)- I see this being a real focus of the offseason.
    Hopelessly devastated Bills fan.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    We need to keep Nelson also
    The Bills are THE ONLY TEAM IN NFL HISTORY to bench their healthy starting quarterback to open the playoffs! WE HAVEN'T MADE THE PLAYOFFS SINCE!

    FLUTIE: Please forgive Ralphie and lift the curse!!!!!

    2014 Adopt-A-Bill: Kiko Alonso

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    45,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdub_bills_12 View Post
    McGee- Agreed
    Smith- I think he has value as a WR/KR... need to restructure and keep, IMO.
    Kelsey- God, I hope!
    Anderson- Not worth a cut, it wouldn't save us any money.
    Caussin- Who? j/k, but this is not a big deal.
    Fitz- I don't think he will be cut, another restructure, IMO... even though I would be ok with starting at square one at QB.

    I'll add...
    McIntyre- His 3 ST tackles aren't hard to replace... Dickerson was good last year in his limited time.
    All WRs (not named Smith, Johnson, Graham)- I see this being a real focus of the offseason.
    Dickerson was good?

    We only thru him the ball about 5 times and he dropped two of them.

    McIntyer was better than you say.
    In Dougs We Trust!!!!




    Good Luck Stevie!!! You will be missed!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,267

    Default

    It's coming.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchmurraydowntown View Post
    It's coming.
    You, sir, are simply brilliant. Carry on!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjhbillsfan View Post
    Dickerson was good?

    We only thru him the ball about 5 times and he dropped two of them.

    McIntyer was better than you say.
    He's a FB... I would rather have one with physical tools (Dickerson) than another emotional leader (McIntyre)... it is now the most insignificant position on the offense, so if we waste a space with it, let's do it with someone who has some speed and manueverability.
    Hopelessly devastated Bills fan.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdub_bills_12 View Post
    McGee- Agreed
    Smith- I think he has value as a WR/KR... need to restructure and keep, IMO.
    Kelsey- God, I hope!
    Anderson- Not worth a cut, it wouldn't save us any money.
    Caussin- Who? j/k, but this is not a big deal.
    Fitz- I don't think he will be cut, another restructure, IMO... even though I would be ok with starting at square one at QB.

    I'll add...
    McIntyre- His 3 ST tackles aren't hard to replace... Dickerson was good last year in his limited time.
    All WRs (not named Smith, Johnson, Graham)- I see this being a real focus of the offseason.
    I believe McIntyre is an UFA so we don't need to cut him. And at this point I agree he can easily be replaced and should be upgraded if we are going to focus on the running game going forward.

    I still think both Kelsay and McGee should have been cut long before Barnett and Wilson especially if we want to give them a better chance of catching on with a new team like we did those two.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    45,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdub_bills_12 View Post
    He's a FB... I would rather have one with physical tools (Dickerson) than another emotional leader (McIntyre)... it is now the most insignificant position on the offense, so if we waste a space with it, let's do it with someone who has some speed and manueverability.
    I haven't seen anything out of scoring Dorin to make me think he earned that nick name. Corey does more on special teams then Dorin does on O. Besides, Dickerson is a TE/H back not a real fullback. It isn't an either or kind of thing an Mcintre isn't making a ton of money.
    In Dougs We Trust!!!!




    Good Luck Stevie!!! You will be missed!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Snake Infested Sandbar
    Posts
    39,329

    Default

    The Bills are 20.9 million under the cap - they are going to need some more space but they don't need it today or yesterday...

    McGee - Love him as a CB. Solid and reliable but injuries have caught up. Savings of $2.209 million
    Smith - Doesn't really fit in at QB or WR and especially not as a returner for the cost. Savings of $2.75 million
    Kelsey - I'm going to be sad when a number of Bills fans are cheering at the release of one of the most underappreciated Bills of all time. Savings of $4.175 million
    Moats - Never really stood out as LB or DE and special teams play isn't out of this world. Savings of $1.323 million


    Those for cuts along with th space they already have would give them $31.357 million in space. Enough to cover the rookie class, tag Byrd, resign Levitre, bring in one top tier FA and a couple fo midle tier FAs


    That space could go up if they come to an agreement with Fitz on a restructured contract. They won't release him because it savings them no money and would leav them with zero QBs (unless you count Smith and I don't) under contract. Releasing him counting on replacing him in the draft and free agency is to big of a gamble.


    BTW - did some really say Dickerson was better than McIntyre?
    "Good teams put it in the end zone. Teams like us kick field goals.'' - TJ Houshmandzadeh

    "Potential means you ain't done $&%# yet" - Bill Parcells

    There's a difference between winning a single game and establishing a winning organization. - indybillsfan


    Adopt a Bill 2014 - #93 Randell Johnson - HOOT!!!!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlaFitz View Post

    BTW - did some really say Dickerson was better than McIntyre?
    I did... well, not really. I said that he provides as much at a position that is not all that important. If we are actually going to use a FB consistently (which few teams do), then McIntyre isn't bad... but if we are using one sparingly, then why do we need McIntyre? We can find Sp Team guys that can replace him.
    Hopelessly devastated Bills fan.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    You have your figures wrong on the savings.If a player is not in the last year of their contact the team is on the hook for the remaining bonus money which is prorated.On Kelsay for instance they don't save 4.175 million its probably more like 2.5 because they have to prorate the remaining bonus money which is 2.5 million the next two years.That gets rolled into this years cap.The reason Barnett and Wilson were let go now is that they were in the last year of their contracts so there was bigger savings because there was less bonus money.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Snake Infested Sandbar
    Posts
    39,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyc37 View Post
    You have your figures wrong on the savings.If a player is not in the last year of their contact the team is on the hook for the remaining bonus money which is prorated.On Kelsay for instance they don't save 4.175 million its probably more like 2.5 because they have to prorate the remaining bonus money which is 2.5 million the next two years.That gets rolled into this years cap.The reason Barnett and Wilson were let go now is that they were in the last year of their contracts so there was bigger savings because there was less bonus money.
    The prorated amount of his number is only $500k at this point. He's slated to earn $3.725 in salary, $750k in a roster bonus and would get an 100k workout bonus. If anything my number of $4.175 million might be low. I have read they would save as much as $4.9 million.

    The only bonus money that is prorated is the signing bonus. That was $2 million
    "Good teams put it in the end zone. Teams like us kick field goals.'' - TJ Houshmandzadeh

    "Potential means you ain't done $&%# yet" - Bill Parcells

    There's a difference between winning a single game and establishing a winning organization. - indybillsfan


    Adopt a Bill 2014 - #93 Randell Johnson - HOOT!!!!!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlaFitz View Post
    The prorated amount of his number is only $500k at this point. He's slated to earn $3.725 in salary, $750k in a roster bonus and would get an 100k workout bonus. If anything my number of $4.175 million might be low. I have read they would save as much as $4.9 million.

    The only bonus money that is prorated is the signing bonus. That was $2 million

    I have it in and around 4.7...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinflavoredtuna View Post
    Great post and you are 100% correct. Everybody is anxious and when the anxiety festers people tend to turn on one and other. It's unnecessary. Fact, the Bills have their cut list in place. Fact, there is a reason they haven't released those on the list yet. Everyone is surprised, understandably, but when you release players with any noted previous injury there can be complications. If you release players without aligning and ensuring a path to replace them, you do no justice to your organization. The next cuts will dictate the Bills direction in FA and the draft. My best advice is to ignore the press and the opinions and let what should be, an amazing offseason, play out. Don't rob yourselves or each other as Bills fans, of the potential excitement. The common thread that strings you together is your love for the Buffalo Bills. Everyone has suffered. No need to add to someone's suffering with hate or disrespect...



    DFT
    Thanks for the post.
    Got home this evening and read the news on McGee. Sure enough the offseason continues.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    9,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caffeine addict View Post
    Thanks for the post.
    Got home this evening and read the news on McGee. Sure enough the offseason continues.
    You'll be elated with the next one!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlaFitz View Post
    The Bills are 20.9 million under the cap - they are going to need some more space but they don't need it today or yesterday...

    McGee - Love him as a CB. Solid and reliable but injuries have caught up. Savings of $2.209 million
    Smith - Doesn't really fit in at QB or WR and especially not as a returner for the cost. Savings of $2.75 million
    Kelsey - I'm going to be sad when a number of Bills fans are cheering at the release of one of the most underappreciated Bills of all time. Savings of $4.175 million
    Moats - Never really stood out as LB or DE and special teams play isn't out of this world. Savings of $1.323 million


    Those for cuts along with th space they already have would give them $31.357 million in space. Enough to cover the rookie class, tag Byrd, resign Levitre, bring in one top tier FA and a couple fo midle tier FAs


    That space could go up if they come to an agreement with Fitz on a restructured contract. They won't release him because it savings them no money and would leav them with zero QBs (unless you count Smith and I don't) under contract. Releasing him counting on replacing him in the draft and free agency is to big of a gamble.


    BTW - did some really say Dickerson was better than McIntyre?
    Thanks FF. You've got a better handle on the numbers than I do, but I agree 100% that they don't need to rush to make these cuts. And why would they?

    I'm glad they are doing these in an orderly manner rather than a wholesale cleanout of the roster. Indicates to me they are doing their due diligence.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinflavoredtuna View Post
    You'll be elated with the next one!
    Jeez you can't help yourself can you lol!!

    YEAH!! I got one right! lol




    7. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •