Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Merriman tweets today!

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Clearly someone over-reacted to a joke here. However, if the Question is Should we resign him the answer is yes. We need to resign he and Moore. That way we have outside pass rushers of Mario, Anderson, Moore, Merriman and Moats. We need them.

I am still assuming Kelsay won't be here.
    The EJ Haters Club: (guys who would rather EJ lose than the Bills win)
    Jackington
    Brianmoorman4jesus
    Mitchmurraydowntowm
    Buffalo2382
    Machinist
    Schmuggs
    Bonsini383
    BornBillfan
    Orange
    TheDude
    Sampten
    Kozel
    Ramza
    Cherrybone (how did I miss him?)

Let me know who I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by sjhbillsfan View Post
    Clearly someone over-reacted to a joke here. However, if the Question is Should we resign him the answer is yes. We need to resign he and Moore. That way we have outside pass rushers of Mario, Anderson, Moore, Merriman and Moats. We need them.

I am still assuming Kelsay won't be here.
    I still feel like the assumption that Kelsay won't be here is a pretty good one

Quote Originally Posted by ChanticleerBillsFan View Post
    Honestly, me too. Moore is a complete liability against the run.
    And Merriman is a complete liability everywhere else and is a year slower. You don't keep a guy like Merriman on the roster b/c he's decent against the run...which he maybe is at best.
    The day we start seeing the Bills known as the "Wide Right" team again will be the best day Bills fans will have had in over 14 years. Give that a think.

Quote Originally Posted by Koko78 View Post
    He played quite well with the limited reps he had after re-signing.
    Quite well....well there's the hyperbole of the month. At over 4M per season, limited should not be in the description. I'd like to know your definition of "quite well" because I'm pretty certain it's similar to the definition used by the Bills organization. For what we paid Merriman...Ray Lewis made about $3.8M. A guy past his prime but was more than an emotional leader...because you still need to be on the field to be that...not a cheerleader like what Merriman has become....the league's most highly paid cheerleader.
    Last edited by jcmccall; 02-18-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    The day we start seeing the Bills known as the "Wide Right" team again will be the best day Bills fans will have had in over 14 years. Give that a think.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmccall View Post
    Quite well....well there's the hyperbole of the month. At over 4M per season, limited should not be in the description. I'd like to know your definition of "quite well" because I'm pretty certain it's similar to the definition used by the Bills organization.
    "Limited reps" shouldn't have applied to CJ either, but it did... Consider the coach we just fired

Quote Originally Posted by Koko78 View Post
    That was how many years ago? Time to get over it.
    ..and what has be done since...he reinjured the same ankle the following year and could barely run on it the year after. Time for the you and the Bills to get over names and get players.

For what we've paid Merriman we could have gotten a better player. $4M a season plus...for NOTHING...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! AND WE SIGNED UP FOR IT TWICE!!!!!!! AND OUR DEFENSE WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE....

Oh now it's Chan's fault....it wasn't for 3 years, but now everything is Chan's fault. Get a clue...Merriman's name and the Bills' stupidity cost them over $10M and a good player.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinocoach View Post
    I know it is friday night & all but that looks like it could work.
    Merriman, Pace, Bradham, Moats, Sheppard & a LB to be named later.
    We have fielded much worse.
    So we fast forawrd a few years to when maybe Moats, Bradham, and Sheppard might be decent and we get into the way back machine to when Pace and Merriman were good and great.

Too bad it's 2013 and that lineup is a couple of has beens and a couple of maybe never will bes.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka_GoBills View Post
    The Bills would be stupid not to bring him back. This is his kind of defense and when he did see the field last year he made a difference.
    This.
    2014-2014 Adopt-A-Bill: Cyrus Kouandjio

GO BILLS!

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    "Limited reps" shouldn't have applied to CJ either, but it did... Consider the coach we just fired
    Seriously...you're comparing CJ Spiller to a guy who can't run anymore and blaming it on a coach that is the professional league's offensive equivalent of Bobby Bowden? Ok, whatever I give you win. You've totally outfoxed me even though I doubt Chan could name who played on the defensive side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by pryonisys View Post
    I think it's a pretty good assumption, but not a sure thing. As with most things about the Bills right now, it's really hard to know what the 2013 team is going to look like. I don't have a good sense of what Pettine wants his defense to look like; actually, I think no one does, because it's hard to know how much of last season's Jets defense was Pettine and how much was Ryan.

So you don't know where a guy like Moore might fit in, except that you know he's mobil, and mobility probably is an important asset in Pettine's defense. You don't know what to expect from Merriman. You don't know what at all to expect from Anderson, who has had two good seasons and a bunch of lousy seasons.

So you get to a guy like Kelsay, and I don't think you can count him out. He's a combo player - decent size, decent speed, lots of experience, reasonably tough. I'd guess that he doesn't have enough any one characteristic to make him valuable in 2013, and he's unlikely to be part of the long-term for the team. But, again, we don't really know what Pettine is going to want in this defense, and Kelsay's a talented enough guy that he might surprise all of us.

Now everyone will jump on me for being a Kelsay homer, but they should listen to what I'm saying. I'm not saying he's a star, I'm not saying he's a starter, I'm not saying any of that. What I am saying is the same thing I've said about Fitz - people may hate him, people may believe you can't with him, but people aren't looking at it the way the coach and GM are. They have long-term goals and short-term goals, short-term being to win as many games in 2013 as they can. They really don't care whether Joe Fan thinks Kelsay is a stiff; depending on how free agency and the draft go, how Merriman, Moore and Anderson recover and fit into the defense, Kelsay may be the right guy to have on the team. Remember, we all think there aren't enough quality linebackers on the team, and there won't be come opening day, either. So maybe Moore becomes a full-time 3-4 linebacker and maybe there's room on the team for Kelsay as a swing DE/LB. I simply think there isn't any way to see now how that is going to play out.

..and what has be done since...he reinjured the same ankle the following year and could barely run on it the year after. Time for the you and the Bills to get over names and get players.

For what we've paid Merriman we could have gotten a better player. $4M a season plus...for NOTHING...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! AND WE SIGNED UP FOR IT TWICE!!!!!!! AND OUR DEFENSE WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE....
    One thing I say around here all the time is that you'd rather cut talent too late than too early. It's why you keep a guy like Maybin around. And a guy like McKelvin. If you keep each of five busts around for one season too long, it's worth it if the sixth guy you keep too long blossoms. Take a guy like McKelvin. The guy clearly has some exceptional physical skills - everyone has known that since his college days. In his early seasons as a pro, he clearly was a liability. He also coughed up the ball on his kick return against the Pats. Then, last season, he became a quality, reliable kick returner and wasn't a liability - wasn't a star, but wasn't a liability - on defense. Now he's going to play in a new defense, and who knows what we'll see.

You know how they say in basketball "you can't teach height." Well, you can't teach the raw physical talent and the football instincts that come with a lot of first-round talent.

Merriman is two years younger than Dwight Freeney, and although he's been injured, he has a lot fewer miles on him than Freeney has. Teams are pursuing Freeney. It probably won't happen, but Merriman might have three productive - not superstar, but productive - seasons ahead of him. And he's a potential team leader like a Ray Lewis.

You need 4-6-8 special people on your team to win. If McKelvin turns into one, or if Merriman turns into a Lewis-type leader, the investment the Bills made in either will have been worth it.

So, for example, if you compare Merriman and Kelsay, and if the 53rd spot comes down to a choice between the two of them, you keep Merriman in a heartbeat. Why? Because Kelsay might be useful, but Merriman still might be special, and special helps make your team a winner.

And it's why everyone wants to replace Fitz - QB is the single position where you almost absolutely have to have special, and Fitz has demonstrated that there's virtually no chance he'll be special. And it's why Buddy rolled the dice, first on Young and then TJax - there was a chance they could be special.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post
    I think it's a pretty good assumption, but not a sure thing. As with most things about the Bills right now, it's really hard to know what the 2013 team is going to look like. I don't have a good sense of what Pettine wants his defense to look like; actually, I think no one does, because it's hard to know how much of last season's Jets defense was Pettine and how much was Ryan.

So you don't know where a guy like Moore might fit in, except that you know he's mobil, and mobility probably is an important asset in Pettine's defense. You don't know what to expect from Merriman. You don't know what at all to expect from Anderson, who has had two good seasons and a bunch of lousy seasons.

So you get to a guy like Kelsay, and I don't think you can count him out. He's a combo player - decent size, decent speed, lots of experience, reasonably tough. I'd guess that he doesn't have enough any one characteristic to make him valuable in 2013, and he's unlikely to be part of the long-term for the team. But, again, we don't really know what Pettine is going to want in this defense, and Kelsay's a talented enough guy that he might surprise all of us.

Now everyone will jump on me for being a Kelsay homer, but they should listen to what I'm saying. I'm not saying he's a star, I'm not saying he's a starter, I'm not saying any of that. What I am saying is the same thing I've said about Fitz - people may hate him, people may believe you can't with him, but people aren't looking at it the way the coach and GM are. They have long-term goals and short-term goals, short-term being to win as many games in 2013 as they can. They really don't care whether Joe Fan thinks Kelsay is a stiff; depending on how free agency and the draft go, how Merriman, Moore and Anderson recover and fit into the defense, Kelsay may be the right guy to have on the team. Remember, we all think there aren't enough quality linebackers on the team, and there won't be come opening day, either. So maybe Moore becomes a full-time 3-4 linebacker and maybe there's room on the team for Kelsay as a swing DE/LB. I simply think there isn't any way to see now how that is going to play out.
    Looking at the finances, the only real move it to cut Kelsay, but there are other things to consider like his ability to play in the system (which I can't see him been a real fit for as he's not quick and he can only play one position, etc.), but the decision on Chris Kelsay seems to come down to the same issue that's been the issue every time his contract or how much he makes comes up...who's gonna replace him as you need a body to fill that spot. Whether it's Ryan or Pettine, players on those defenses get to the ball and do it quickly. After 10 years, I don't think that fits what Kelsay does.

But for this team to get good again, I think you have to just move on from this guy. You may get worse initially (and how that's possible coming off a practically, if not in reality, historically bad defense, I'm not entirely sure), but just about any change will be better. Until Chris Kelsay name is de-laminated from this roster, it's almost like why do we bother.

For all the sports labels we throw around, "high motor" has been stuck to Kelsay's butt for 10 years. I think it's time to replace "high motor" with "hungry" or at least "the devil I don't know."

Now it's just not money, but yet another coaching staff that has no ties to Chris Kelsay and with the cap savings makes and his limitations as a player the move to cut him should be a given. I look at it as is keeping Kelsay a move that a team that makes it to the post season does? I don't think so.

Bottom line ...we have yet another new regime, but if Fitzpatrick and Kelsay are back in their roles....how much different is it really? It may not be fair, but one has to go, if not both. And is Chris Kelsay a player good enough to be brought into a 4th regime? I just don't think so.
    Last edited by jcmccall; 02-18-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pryonisys View Post
    there is still the possibility that kelsey takes a pay cut a la mcgee last year. that is a very real possibility.

to all who think the guy is a slug i couldnt disagree with you more at the right price he would be a good rotational guy and definatly a good guy in the locker room.

again i get the impression that all you think we are again transitioning to a 3/4 team again which is not the case. some of you guys just cant seem to get that 3/4 theory out of your head.

Looking at the finances, the only real move it to cut Kelsay, but there are other things to consider like his ability to play in the system (which I can't see him been a real fit for as he's not quick and he can only play one position, etc.), but the decision on Chris Kelsay seems to come down to the same issue that's been the issue every time his contract or how much he makes comes up...who's gonna replace him as you need a body to fill that spot. Whether it's Ryan or Pettine, players on those defenses get to the ball and do it quickly. After 10 years, I don't think that fits what Kelsay does.

But for this team to get good again, I think you have to just move on from this guy. You may get worse initially (and how that's possible coming off a practically, if not in reality, historically bad defense, I'm not entirely sure), but just about any change will be better. Until Chris Kelsay name is de-laminated from this roster, it's almost like why do we bother.

For all the sports labels we throw around, "high motor" has been stuck to Kelsay's butt for 10 years. I think it's time to replace "high motor" with "hungry" or at least "the devil I don't know."

Now it's just not money, but yet another coaching staff that has no ties to Chris Kelsay and with the cap savings makes and his limitations as a player the move to cut him should be a given. I look at it as is keeping Kelsay a move that a team that makes it to the post season does? I don't think so.

Bottom line ...we have yet another new regime, but if Fitzpatrick and Kelsay are back in their roles....how much different is it really? It may not be fair, but one has to go, if not both. And is Chris Kelsay a player good enough to be brought into a 4th regime? I just don't think so.
    I tend to agree with you, particularly about Kelsay. He has no long-term utility, and I don't see him as being particularly valuable in the short-term. He's clearly not going to be the best, second-best or probably even third-best DE on the team. His contract is a consideration, but that's secondary to winning, so if Pettine wants him, his contract won't be an impediment. Still, I just have no way of knowing what's in Pettine's head and whether Kelsay fits a role that I simply don't see or can't understand.

Fitz is a slightly different question, because it's certainly possible that in September he will be the best QB on the team, even though there's a rookie on board who eventually might take his job. Remember, Fitz is a running quarterback, and there are worse things than letting Fitz take the punishment while the rest of the team learns new systems and while the rookie gets his feet wet. If Jackson doesn't beat out Fitz for the job, and if the rookie simply isn't ready to go, "it's time to move on" isn't a good enough reason to cut Fitz. "It's time to move on" doesn't work if moving on will cost you 2-3 wins in 2013. Wins are too important to a rookie coach and to a franchise that has disappointed fans in the win department for too many years.

I agree with you on Fitz he may be here because he's the best player we have at the position. But I don't see him at a QB that's makes you 2-3 wins better, especially after last season. When you factor games like New England and Tennessee, he kinda makes you two to 3 games worse. Not to mention those 3 OT losses back a season or two back.

But are Marrone and Hackett the types of coaches that makes sure those Fitzpatrick game loosing plays don't happen? When looking at it, I say yes and no/maybe. I think they run the ball and we beat the Titans. Against the Pats, I think it's a toss up, but I think we all hope that they are smart enough to get a play into the huddle that makes Stevie and CJ the top reads and if they aren't, they've coached up everyone enough to allow an audible.

So I don't think it's whether Fitz is 2-3 wins better as a QB. He is what he is, what gets you those 2 extra wins is coaching him properly and hoping that the Fitzpatrick that can't beat Matt Moore doesn't show up. So in several ways, starting Fitz is not that much different that starting a rookie QB. That being he case, the financial commitment might be the thing that keeps Fitz on the roster.

All I really want from Marrone is to not call him smart, a gunslinger, or a game manager as he's really not any of those things when the pressure is on him and he has to make plays. At least more often than not. At best I'll take him playing out the poor hand he was dealt at the QB position and no matter how good a season Fitz has, if he's playing for us this year, it's his last.

I agree with you on Fitz he may be here because he's the best player we have at the position. But I don't see him at a QB that's makes you 2-3 wins better, especially after last season. When you factor games like New England and Tennessee, he kinda makes you two to 3 games worse. Not to mention those 3 OT losses back a season or two back.

But are Marrone and Hackett the types of coaches that makes sure those Fitzpatrick game loosing plays don't happen? When looking at it, I say yes and no/maybe. I think they run the ball and we beat the Titans. Against the Pats, I think it's a toss up, but I think we all hope that they are smart enough to get a play into the huddle that makes Stevie and CJ the top reads and if they aren't, they've coached up everyone enough to allow an audible.

So I don't think it's whether Fitz is 2-3 wins better as a QB. He is what he is, what gets you those 2 extra wins is coaching him properly and hoping that the Fitzpatrick that can't beat Matt Moore doesn't show up. So in several ways, starting Fitz is not that much different that starting a rookie QB. That being he case, the financial commitment might be the thing that keeps Fitz on the roster.

All I really want from Marrone is to not call him smart, a gunslinger, or a game manager as he's really not any of those things when the pressure is on him and he has to make plays. At least more often than not. At best I'll take him playing out the poor hand he was dealt at the QB position and no matter how good a season Fitz has, if he's playing for us this year, it's his last.
    I think the problem is that Fitz may be 2-3 wins better than whoever is second best. That's why Fitz could play.

I think the problem is that Fitz may be 2-3 wins better than whoever is second best. That's why Fitz could play.
    Well, we did resign Tavaris Jackson who has a .500 record and Fitz has not put in great showings in training camp. But yeah, Fitz could be starting next year and even though it's supposedly an open competition, as the incumbent, it still is his to loose.

But if he's 2-3 wins better. Is it too early to think about the 2014 season?

I think he and TJ are about the same.
    Originally Posted by lilfaith24
    Tuel is not a bad QB,you just have no clue.