Thread: What sounds better to you?

Default What sounds better to you?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

It is no secret that this class of QB's is very suspect. I am still of the belief that a couple of these guys will turn out to be solid pros.

That said which situation would you rather go......take a QB high in this years draft, roll the dice if you will, or take the alternative route and flood the roster with weapons, say, draft a guy like Cordarelle Patterson at no. 8 and then potentially game and sit tight or trade up and grab a Zach Ertz or Tyler Eifert.

In the latter scenario, unfortunately, you would be going with either Fitz or Jackson at QB for at least one more year. Offsetting that would be the fact that your offensive roster is loaded with talent for a young QB come 2014.

I think it is a discussion worth having and could give me headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP56 View Post
    It is no secret that this class of QB's is very suspect. I am still of the belief that a couple of these guys will turn out to be solid pros.

That said which situation would you rather go......take a QB high in this years draft, roll the dice if you will, or take the alternative route and flood the roster with weapons, say, draft a guy like Cordarelle Patterson at no. 8 and then potentially game and sit tight or trade up and grab a Zach Ertz or Tyler Eifert.

In the latter scenario, unfortunately, you would be going with either Fitz or Jackson at QB for at least one more year. Offsetting that would be the fact that your offensive roster is loaded with talent for a young QB come 2014.

I already have a headache.

2012 Adopt-A-Bill: T.J. Graham

At this point, if they believe they have a 10-15 year starter in this draft, I take him. Whether its Barkley, Smith, Wilson or whomever, pull the trigger.

The fear with the 2nd scenario is we squeak out enough wins to fall out of the qb race yet again in 2014, and they can't/refuse to move up.

Or, just like a lot of classes, some of the next years sure fire guys regress after another season, and we are left empty handed yet again.
    2014 Adopt a Bill---Chris Williams

It is a tough call. I like Patterson a lot and wouldn't be upset with him, but going into next season with two equally bad QB's in Fitz and Jackson sounds horrible. I think it alll depends on who is available at 8. If Barkley or Smith are there I think you pull the trigger on one of them. If not, I wouldn't mind taking Patterson at 8 at all and possibly moving up into the first for a QB or grabbing one in the 2nd round. Easier said than done though. You also cannot depend on being in a position to draft one of the top QB's next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP56 View Post

I think QB and WR/TE go hand and hand, most would say Ryan Fitzpatrick is not good enough to get this team where it needs to be yet we will get him weapons, I would assume Patterson would be used strictly as a deep threat and that's a huge problem with Fitz and the deep ball, Ertz or Eifert are solid options but I'd rather have a solid free agent pickup such as Delanie Walker or someone along those lines with experience, TE at this point is a luxury.

Now you get a solid QB in the 1st round, give him the WR, maybe it won't be Patterson in the 2nd or 3rd but this draft is deep in WR's along with Stevie Johnson and our running game plus a solid TE in free agency and this offense will look like a contender. Everyone has a preference in QB, I would prefer Mike Glennon but I believe Matt Barkley if he is still there at 8 when we pick will be our selection, he seems to fit the scheme we want to run on offense and finally gives this franchise a face at QB that we haven't had in a really long time.

There is no guarantee that if you draft another position they will be a success. Here is an example of a breakdown of 10 years of top 10 picks. I DID NOT do the determination of bust or success (and I may disagree with some) but it gives you an idea.
    Position, total selections/number of busts, and ranked by highest BR (bust rate):
    1. WR – 17/12 – 70% BR
    2. QB – 15/9 - 60% BR
    3. DE – 11/6 - 54% BR
    4. TE – 2/1 - 50% BR
    5. DT – 10/4 - 40% BR
    6. RB – 11/4 - 36% BR
    7-T. LB – 9/3 - 33% BR
    7-T. CB – 9/3 - 33% BR
    8. S – 5/1 - 20% BR
    9. OL – 11/1 – 9% BR
    QB – Matt Ryan, (JaMarcus Russell), (Vince Young), (Matt Leinart), (Alex Smith), Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, (Byron Leftwich), (David Carr), (Joey Harrington), Michael Vick, (Tim Couch), Donovan McNabb, (Akili Smith)

WR – Calvin Johnson, (Ted Ginn Jr.), (Braylon Edwards), (Troy Williamson), (Mike Williams), Larry Fitzgerald, (Roy Williams), (Reggie Williams), (Charles Rogers), Andre Johnson, (David Terrell), (Koren Robinson), (Peter Warrick), Plaxico Burress, (Travis Taylor), Torry Holt, (David Boston)

DE – Chris Long, (Derrick Harvey), (Gaines Adams), (Jamaal Anderson), Mario Williams, Kevin Williams, Julius Peppers, Justin Smith, (Andre Carter), (Jamal Reynolds), (Courtney Brown)

DT – Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, (Amobi Okoye), (Dewayne Robertson), (Johnathan Sullivan), (Ryan Sims), John Henderson, Gerard Warren, Richard Seymour, Corey Simon

LB – (Vernon Gholston), Keith Rivers, Jerod Mayo, A.J. Hawk, (Ernie Sims), Terrell Suggs, LaVar Arrington, Brian Urlacher, (Chris Claiborne)

RB – Darren McFadden, Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush, (Ronnie Brown), (Cedric Benson), (Cadillac Williams), LaDainian Tomlinson, Jamal Lewis, Thomas Jones, Edgerrin James, (Ricky Williams)

CB – (Pacman Jones), (Antrel Rolle), Carlos Rogers, (DeAngelo Hall), Dunta Robinson, Terence Newman, Quentin Jammer, Champ Bailey, Chris McAlister

S – LaRon Landry, Michael Huff, Donte Whitner, Sean Taylor, (Roy Williams)

OL – Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Robert Gallery, Jordan Gross, (Mike Williams), Bryant McKinnie, Levi Jones, Leonard Davis, Chris Samuels

TE - Vernon Davis, (Kellen Winslow)
    *Busts were in parenthesis. I do not agree with all but it is pretty close. Looking at this data, maybe we should stay away from WR in the top My point is, that there are no certainties in the draft, regardless of position. You are still rolling the dice no matter what position you take. Some positions may have better odds but they also may not help you team succeed as much as another poisition.