Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting read on SoCal QBs...

Default Interesting read on SoCal QBs...

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

I looked around and didn't see this posted within the first few pages so I thought I would share. I, for one, don't really buy the argument that the area a player comes from or the school they go to will impact how they'll play as a pro. However, this article has some interesting facts and numbers, as well as some quotes from some NFL personnel guys.

I'm indifferent on this issue, I just thought I would share. Personally, I like Barkley's leadership skills. He's a "first in, last out" kinda guy and he's not afraid to get after his teammates to motivate and lead them. That's something that's sorely missing with Fitzpatrick. Rarely, if ever, have I seen him on the sidelines getting his guys amped up. I know he's a lead by example type but more often than not his examples aren't the best. I wonder if he ever feels like he should say something but doesn't because how can he call someone else out when he himself isn't playing that well.

Anyway, here's the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--so...060900663.html

I would've just cut and pasted the article here but there's some tables and stuff that'll have it appear all mixed up on here. That list of QBs from the SoCal area isn't very promising.

I don't buy into that, its kinda like saying just draft QBs from the state of Penn. cause of Marino, Kelly, Montana etc. Barkley isn't anything like those who came before him.

"If ever a man had it all, it would have to be me"

"living is easy with eyes closed"

Bills mock (subject to change many times by May)

1) trade with Rams again 9 for 13 + 44 Kony Ealy DE
    2) James Hurst ot N. Caro
    2)Troy Niklas TE ND
    3)Jeremiah Attaochu OLB GT
    4) Kenny Ladler DB Vandy
    5)Andrew Jackson MLB W. Kent.
    7)Russell Bodine C,G N. Caro

Barkley has accomplished more than a lot of those QBs on that list.
    I LOVE ME SOME ME
    Adopt a Bill 2012- Cordy Glenn
    Adopt a Bill 2013- Mario Williams
    Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Emerson

Mock 3/16
    1) Mike Evans WR, A&M
    2) Jace Amaro TE, Texas Tech
    3) Anthony Johnson DT, LSU
    4) Billy Turner OT, North Dakota State
    5) Michael Sam DE, Missouri

Barkley sucks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bills1 View Post
    Barkley sucks anyway.
    Hmmmm, is there something your not telling us ?

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneLouie View Post
    Hmmmm, is there something your not telling us ?
    yep, that he doesn't have a clue

"If ever a man had it all, it would have to be me"

"living is easy with eyes closed"

Bills mock (subject to change many times by May)

1) trade with Rams again 9 for 13 + 44 Kony Ealy DE
    2) James Hurst ot N. Caro
    2)Troy Niklas TE ND
    3)Jeremiah Attaochu OLB GT
    4) Kenny Ladler DB Vandy
    5)Andrew Jackson MLB W. Kent.
    7)Russell Bodine C,G N. Caro

Quote Originally Posted by bilzfancy View Post
    yep, that he doesn't have a clue
    LOL...like most of us.

Barkley might suprise many people, if he gets his HOOHA.

"Here we go again, another L.A. movie star quarterback who needs his own day to throw," a veteran scout said, the sarcasm splashing from his mouth like a wave hitting a seawall.
    "And you wonder why guys from Southern California (are bad)?" a veteran team executive said, referring as much to the region as to Barkley's alma mater. "Everything is like they have to draw attention to themselves."

Sounds about right to me....

I think with the way NFL coaches and coordinators tailor their schemes to the strengths of their players that more QBs can be successful than before, where the norm was to draft a guy and have him sit with a clipboard for a year or two. College programs evolve more and more every year, making players more ready to enter the NFL now than ever before. I know this years QB crop is hard to judge and place value on, but out of all those guys, I feel like most of them have a shot to be a good player somewhere in the league. I think Barkley can be one of those guys.

You can't group Barkley into the USC crowd and leave the evaluation at that.... if you do, you may miss on a potential gamer.

These same scouts did this with Aaron Rodgers because his college coach had mentored Difler, Akili Smith, Kyle Bolier and Joey Harrington.

Those same scouts look foolish now.

Now I have to be honest. It concerns me that Barkley isn't throwing. Cam Newton didn't light it up when he threw at the combine...but he threw. He plans on going through the motions at his pro day....makes me think his shoulder is more of an issue than he is leading on.

In a draft that lacks a bonifide #1 QB, he should've jumped at this chance to establish himself in this draft.
    FIRE BUDDY NIX!!!

This prompted be to compare Barkley vs Sanchez stats...

Why did the Jets draft Sanchez? lol
    @JJGauna Sack Artist

Trade Up Rumors Mock 3-29
    1. Jadeveon Clowney DE
    3. Donte Moncrief WR
    4. JaWuan James OT
    5. Aaron Murray QB
    6. Spencer Long OG
    7. James Wilder Jr RB

The Jets gambled big on Sanchez and it looks like it's gonna backfire, if it hasn't already. He had only 13 college starts under his belt when they drafted him, not a very large body of work to judge.

From what I've read, Barkley is at about 90% and he COULD throw at the Combine but his doctors are telling him to wait until his pro day when he should be at 100%. Ligaments don't heal very quickly and he tore two of them. He's being advised to make sure they're 100% healed before throwing since anything under 100% increases the possibility of tearing something again and having it take even longer to heal and be less likely to return to its normal form.

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
    Barkley has accomplished more than a lot of those QBs on that list.
    Matt Leinart wone a Heisman and 2 National Championships...... where is he now?

Quote Originally Posted by MoormanRules8 View Post
    Matt Leinart wone a Heisman and 2 National Championships...... where is he now?
    Matt Leinart was a child and immature with no work ethic thats why he failed. sanchez came out too early and then went to a team that didnt support him and killed his confidence. barkley is mature hard worker and has a great work ethic
    "Fight on, my men, Sir Andrew said -- A little I'm hurt but not yet slain. I'll just lie down and bleed awhile -- And I'll rise and fight again." marv levy

Forget just looking at SoCal QBs; show me any QB from the past 15 years who played on a stacked team in college who went on to be a great NFL QB.

Quote Originally Posted by cksteele79 View Post
    Matt Leinart was a child and immature with no work ethic thats why he failed. sanchez came out too early and then went to a team that didnt support him and killed his confidence. barkley is mature hard worker and has a great work ethic
    Just playing Devil's advocate, I wouldn't mind us drafting him, but the numbers show it would be a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by MoormanRules8 View Post
    Just playing Devil's advocate, I wouldn't mind us drafting him, but the numbers show it would be a mistake.
    what numbers are those the career comp % over 60% the over 9000 yards the 90TD career QB rating of 146 yes clearly the numbers of a terrible QB ......
    "Fight on, my men, Sir Andrew said -- A little I'm hurt but not yet slain. I'll just lie down and bleed awhile -- And I'll rise and fight again." marv levy

Quote Originally Posted by jrober38 View Post
    Forget just looking at SoCal QBs; show me any QB from the past 15 years who played on a stacked team in college who went on to be a great NFL QB.
    Tom Brady
    Joe Flacco (Hey, Delware is stacked at their level)
    Mike Vick (He is still in the league and was on the cover of Madden)
    Andrew Luck (his team was very good)

I think you know I'm being funny...I see your point.

However, I would argue that USC hasn't been stacked since the Pete Carrol days. Lane Kiffin isn't the recruiter or coach that Carrol was. While Kiffin has done alright at WR as a recruiter, overall....his classes have either underperformed or are just bad. Barkley danced with the girls that Kiffin got for him and did alright when you look at his performaces (look at USC when he didn't play)

USC underachieved last season, but it had nothing to do really with Barkley. Now saying that he is the next great QB, but his USC was far different than those other QB's.
    FIRE BUDDY NIX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LTarmy View Post
    Tom Brady
    Joe Flacco (Hey, Delware is stacked at their level)
    Mike Vick (He is still in the league and was on the cover of Madden)
    Andrew Luck (his team was very good)

I think you know I'm being funny...I see your point.

However, I would argue that USC hasn't been stacked since the Pete Carrol days. Lane Kiffin isn't the recruiter or coach that Carrol was. While Kiffin has done alright at WR as a recruiter, overall....his classes have either underperformed or are just bad. Barkley danced with the girls that Kiffin got for him and did alright when you look at his performaces (look at USC when he didn't play)

USC underachieved last season, but it had nothing to do really with Barkley. Now saying that he is the next great QB, but his USC was far different than those other QB's.
    The point I'm trying to make is there's a reason USC, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, ect QBs don't set the NFL on fire.

They have a relatively easy time in college throwing to elite play makers behind great offensive lines. They have no experience throwing into tight windows and a lot of them have no idea what it's like to really get hit and have pressure in their face for four straight quarters.

All of the elite QBs in the NFL are guys who played on mediocre teams in college and made everyone around them better. A lot come from non-traditional powers and I think the experience they gain playing on a level playing field to a downright talent disadvantage is crucial in their success compared to the guys at top programs who are surrounded by NFL caliber talent.

Most guys from top programs arrive in the NFL and never adjust to the pressure or fact that the receivers their throwing to aren't considerably better than the guys covering them. That's why I think USC QBs have had so much trouble, and it's part of the reason why I think Barkley will struggle too. Marquise Lee and Robert Woods are elite players, and they made Barkley's life a lot easier than most college QBs have it.