Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trade up for Geno?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

If we think a guy will lead this team to consistent meaningful seasons pick him. No matter where. Value pick my *** get the guy. Besides it can't get tht much worse than it already is here.
    The changes have to work. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio83 View Post
    That's the problem "It's soooo shocking, it can't be true".
    Its not that its 'soooo shocking, it can't be true' so much as it is so counter to the trend that it is hard to believe. I understand that there is no consensus #1 QB in the draft, but take your favorite guy. Do you think he is a better prospect than Tannehill? Than Gabbert? Ponder? Locker? Weedon? Tebow? All those guys were first round picks. Some of them were early first round picks but none of them were considered first rounders at this point in the process. Well, at least not by the media.

It doesn't really matter that there is no consensus #1 guy or even that there is no consensus list of guys with first round grades. Russ Lande has Ryan Nassib as his #1 overall prospect. Now I don't agree with him, you don't agree with him, most don't agree with him. That doesn't really matter though, all it takes is one GM to agree with him and Nassib will be a first round pick.

I remember the year Tebow was drafted there was a lot of talk about this. So much speculation about where he might go, but all the experts reminded us that it only took one GM to like him for him to go early. I feel like that is every prospect this year. They all have flaws and red flags. Its just going to take one GM to like Geno, just one to like Barkley, to like Wilson, Glennon, Nassib.

When you consider that along with the fact that QB is far and away the most important player on the field and the scarcity of the QB position, I can't imagine the 1st round ending without a QB coming off the board.
    Before you die Lonestar, there is something you should know... I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roomate.

I think it was Mayock who said there isn't much difference between candidates #15 to #45 on most big boards, therefore the word "reach" should not apply.

Lets for the sake of argument, assume Buddy likes Geno Smith enough to make his franchise QB. (he is the top in this years draft, and i agree with that) Lets look at the draft order.

Kansas City (2-14) <- Possible, but unlikely
    Jacksonville (2-14) <- Possible, unlikely, moreso than Kc though
    Oakland (4-12) <- Possible, more likely than Jax
    Philadelphia (4-12) <- Possible, Chip Kelly might see him as a younger Vick to fit into his offense
    Detroit (4-12) <- Not happening, the most likely trade partner if you want to move up
    Cleveland (5-11) <- Possible, Weeden is old and we have a new regimine in cleveland
    Arizona (5-11) <- Possible, they will either take Geno Smith or Eric Fisher.
    Buffalo (6-10)

so that is all but one possible landing spots for Geno. I find it unlikely Geno makes it to the Bills at eight. If Buddy wants Geno, he will likely have to trade with Detroit, if they will let him.
    Quote Originally Posted by teef View Post
    usually browns and bills fans get excited to see each other. it's like two garbage men from different towns getting along because at the end of the day, the recognize the same stank.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaw66 View Post
    This is exactly the problem. There is NO consensus view, on this board, or across the country, about whether ANY of the QBs is worth a really high pick, let alone which one it might be. Some people think Nassib can't make it at all, some think he's the best in the draft. Is GEno the guy you saw in the first five games or the last five games last season? No one knows.

Buddy never wants to trade up, because it costs him picks. He never wants to trade down, because there's someone at his pick he likes. This could be the year where he absolutely has to do one or the other - up to be sure he gets the QB he wants or down because he isn't wild about any QB and he can get some QB and another good player.

I think the trade up, trade down, stay put decision is the most fascinating part of the draft this season.
    My early impression, however, is that there is a cluster of truly elite talent on defense and at OT with guys like Milner, Jones, etc, that we would miss out on. We might still get a decent player in the late first, but we could get a possible HOF'er at 8. Before I would trade that pick away, I'd wait and see who is there and if it's a player like Milner or Jones, then I'd grab him.
    2013 - 2014 Adopt-a-Bill: Stephon Gilmore

This is the year that Gilmore erases all doubt.

As for trading up for Geno, NFW!! He had a serious problem late in the season reading and dealing with pressure. I wouldn't trade up for any QB not unless it was the 2nd round and we needed to.

Actually the best offseason move this year may be one that is not made, releasing Fitz. Don't get me wrong, we better draft a QB within the the first 3 rounds.

Here are some position rankings from a site (draftace.com) I haven't seen posted:

http://www.draftace.com/player-ranki...13-rankings-2/

Smith comes out a distant 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio83 View Post
    That's the problem "It's soooo shocking, it can't be true". That's like the comment people & analysis were saying the day Mick Vick got drafted "his style of play won't transition well in the NFL". Man....what an ignorant statement! I guess his style of play didn't transition well at all.....but cam, kap, rg3, Russell Wilson, ect seemed to take that prototype style of QB play & turned it into the best thing we've seen at the position in years. Point is...it's not an ignorant statement cause YOU THINK its something out of the norm.
    Although your point is true about the "new" style of quarterback, it's a different era now with the rookie wage scale in place. Since the wage scale has been added their has been 4 qb's taken in the first round each year despite the fact that they may not have been graded as such. Tebow was taken in the first round before the wage scale and he had as many ? marks as the qb's in this draft if not more. Its not as big a financial risk anymore to take that first round qb.