Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Whaley on QBs - "There's no total package"

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by sechristbmw View Post
    We need to develop a Quarterback.

That means working with a guy for more than half the season before we decide he isn't the answer.

The 2010 - 2012 Bills have tried to take the previous regimes failed QBs and work with them.

I want the Bills to draft their own guy and develop him.
    This. It's not very hard to get this.
    Originally Posted by Griff
    I'm a Bills fan, I don't feel gloom, I've been baptized in fire. Wide right, Music City Forward Lateral, Pittsburgh's third stringers, 13 years, at this point nothing but moving the team would make me feel the gloom

Quote Originally Posted by mikey152 View Post
    He was the 4th best 5 tech in the draft that year...JJ Watt was #1, Cam Jordan was #2, Nick Fairley was #3....so scheme change is no excuse. If anything, he fit better in a 4-3. He's just lazy and overrated as an athlete. His combine #'s were sad outside the 40 time.
    Hence, my question to you below.

You are right on, the feeling I get is he's lazy and needs to be ridden on by the coaches to achieve his potential.

That year you liked Von Miller. I thought Von was too small and I was absolutely wrong. Admit that 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by jrober38 View Post
    I've told you time and time again that my record analyzing NFL prospects is pretty good but you just ignore me.

I never loved Dareus, said he was maxed out having played at Alabama, didn't think he was a very good athlete and stated many times that I preferred JJ Watt with the 3rd overall pick.
    Like I've said...I'll trust DFT's opinion over your any day of the week and twice on Sundays...he's actually at the combine while you are sitting in your mom's basement typing on your computer...

Quote Originally Posted by Baad 1 View Post
    Ok, what's your rookie "franchise QB" going to get this team ???? Too bad Chan is gone.....he was good for 2-3 losses himself every year.
    Chan wasn't throwing ducks all over the field...Fitz was...

Quote Originally Posted by Jm2009 View Post
    because you say it it's fact. tell the rest of the NFL not to bother drafting QBs this year, then. save some time on draft day...I'd take Barkley or Smith, and we wouldn't be any worse off then what we have now.
    Every analyst is saying there are NO QB's in the top 30 that are BPA !!!! It's not just my opinion. You can't draft a QB every year and think he should make it or break it after one year. You have ti invest at least 3 years to evaluate. This is not the year to REACH for a QB at #8. Why can't you accept that ????

Quote Originally Posted by mikey152 View Post
    He was the 4th best 5 tech in the draft that year...JJ Watt was #1, Cam Jordan was #2, Nick Fairley was #3....so scheme change is no excuse. If anything, he fit better in a 4-3. He's just lazy and overrated as an athlete. His combine #'s were sad outside the 40 time, and only average after you factor in his weight.
    I thought his intrigue was dominant flashes of strength and versatility along a 3-4 front.

What we have got is a 345 overweight DT who flashes now and again, but the defense has not improved a bit since he has got here.

Levi Brown fulfilled our 5 year quota. I'm surprised he managed to eke through as BPA in the 7th of that draft.

Some day, Fitz will retire and we'll need to cross our fingers that another Levi Brown will fall in our laps.

Nix is the one responsible for Gailey and the Fitz. It's on his watch. and his overall performance with the rest of the team has been below average.
    Nix doesn't decide who plays every week. That was Chan's call. He got fired for doing a piss-poor job. He sat one of the best RB's in the league cause he was "winded". He never gave TJ a chance at QB. Don't blame Nix for Chan's failures......

I think he's the next Terrell Owens.

He's going to drop some passes, but he's a monster with the ball in his hands after the catch and no one will be able to cover him one on one without deep safety help because of his speed.

I'd love to get Patterson instead.

Draft Patterson and sign a tight end and our passing attack will be scary good with Graham and Patterson on the outside, Stevie working the slot and a quality tight end in support.
    ....you're right....without a qb our passing attack will be scary......how many more years are we going to put off getting a qb?
    1. Mike Evans / WR / Texas A&M
    2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins / TE / Washington
    3. Juwuan James / OT / Tenn.
    4. Shayne Skov / ILB / Stanford
    5. Cassius Marsh / DE / UCLA
    7. Logan Thomas / QB / Virginia Tech

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and conveniences,
    but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy ".......Martin Luther King

Nix doesn't decide who plays every week. That was Chan's call. He got fired for doing a piss-poor job. He sat one of the best RB's in the league cause he was "winded". He never gave TJ a chance at QB. Don't blame Nix for Chan's failures......
    I need my GM to give my coach better QB options than Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

You have to try a little harder than Tyler Thigpen as a backup QB.

I need my GM to take control of the team and have candid discussions with the coach.

Every analyst is saying there are NO QB's in the top 30 that are BPA !!!! It's not just my opinion. You can't draft a QB every year and think he should make it or break it after one year. You have ti invest at least 3 years to evaluate. This is not the year to REACH for a QB at #8. Why can't you accept that ????
    we've drafted 2 QBs in the first round in the last 30 years. Time to get one this year. BPA has worked out so well for us. Time to get the position we need an improvement in the most-QB. Barkley would be a nice pick. Why can't you accept that the Fitz is not, and never will be the answer?
    I'm a Bills fan, I don't feel gloom, I've been baptized in fire. Wide right, Music City Forward Lateral, Pittsburgh's third stringers, 13 years, at this point nothing but moving the team would make me feel the gloom

Quote Originally Posted by LABILLBACKER View Post
    ....you're right....without a qb our passing attack will be scary......how many more years are we going to put off getting a qb?
    We can get a QB in round 2 that's just as good as the QB we could pick 8th overall.

Give me Corderelle Patterson in round 1 and Mike Glennon in round 2 and I'll be pretty happy. Graham and Patterson on the outside will get Stevie matched up in single coverage all day in the slot because the safeties will have to worry about the deep ball so much.

I thought his intrigue was dominant flashes of strength and versatility along a 3-4 front.

What we have got is a 345 overweight DT who flashes now and again, but the defense has not improved a bit since he has got here.
    Honestly, the lazy thing caught me a bit off guard...I really didn't see it coming, but I probably should have when he got in trouble for taking illegal gifts. I just thought he was average, physically, and maxed out potential wise. He is still young though, so hopefully they whip him into shape and he plays to his potential...he probably wont be a star, but he can still be good. To your point, he does show flashes, but most decent players in the NFL can do that...what seperates the good ones is the consistency with which they do it.

As for his role in this new defense...Hard to say, because I am not 100% sure what they are going to run, so anything I say now would be completely speculative. If I based it on what Baltimore and the Jets do, He'll be two gapping on run downs and (if he stays on the field) trying to get upfield in pass rush situations. Ideally a poor man's Ngata or Wilkerson, worst case a space eater more like a pouha.

The good news is, Carrington looks to be much improved and might be the disruptor from the inside they thought they were getting with Dareus. Dareus - K. Williams - Carrington could be formidible. M. Williams - Sheppard - Bradham and another OLB is a pretty good front 7. But chances are they drop a lineman on most spread/passing situations and replace him with a CB....drop the SS down into the box if they are getting run on or to blitz.
    Last edited by mikey152; 02-21-2013 at 01:38 PM.

I need my GM to give my coach better QB options than Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

You have to try a little harder than Tyler Thigpen as a backup QB.

I need my GM to take control of the team and have candid discussions with the coach.
    Maybe that will happen now.....Still doesn't mean there is a QB worthy of the pick at #8 which is the point of this thread !!!

Nix also stuck Gailey-who isn't good-with duds at QB. Never even bothered to draft one. His neglect in this area should have given him a pink slip, but at OBD, it doesn't.

Maybe that will happen now.....Still doesn't mean there is a QB worthy of the pick at #8 which is the point of this thread !!!
    I'd be surprised if Barkley or Smith lasted to the second round.

we've drafted 2 QBs in the first round in the last 30 years. Time to get one this year. BPA has worked out so well for us. Time to get the position we need an improvement in the most-QB. Barkley would be a nice pick. Why can't you accept that the Fitz is not, and never will be the answer?
    Bills FO office thought he was good enough to give him a big contract when he was playing well. Where were you and whorlnuts when that went down ???? I'll wager you both were applauding just like the rest of us. Face it...there won't be a QB picked at #8 this year. Sorry......

3 years of Buddy Nix draft history and this year having zero elite QB prospects suggests strongly that we aren't going QB at 8.

Not that it's gospel, but since going to Indy and getting to connect with NFL sources, ESPN is starting to suggest ZERO QBs will go in round 1. Kiper has zero QBs in his top 32 and McShay is on the record mocking Smith to us because he says one has to go in round 1 even though Smith isn't ranked in his top 20 players.

Typically this is when info starts to get leaked because the analysts get to chat up their inside sources and it's now that players make big moves up and down big boards.
    There is no smokescreen when ALL of the draft pundits are telling us there are no QB's worth the top 20 picks !!!! You are wearing blinders if you think there are. Of course some teams will REACH and draft a couple of these QB's early but that doesn't make them top 10 valuable. Just drafting any QB to draft a QB will get you more losses than wins.
    You two are correct I believe. There is no Andrew Luck or RGIII this year that are going to go 1 & 2.

Buddy has proven that he isn't going to reach for someone that isn't "proven" - i.e. one year wonder, has injury/character concerns, isn't a 3 or 4 year starter, etc.

Sounds like someone is cooling on Fitz...

We can get a QB in round 2 that's just as good as the QB we could pick 8th overall.

Give me Corderelle Patterson in round 1 and Mike Glennon in round 2 and I'll be pretty happy. Graham and Patterson on the outside will get Stevie matched up in single coverage all day in the slot because the safeties will have to worry about the deep ball so much.
    Not if the quarterback the Bills want is drafted ahead of us by the time we pick in the second. It's not very hard to figure out...