Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pretend your the GM...

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Maybe I am wrong on this. If we cut Fitz, we only eat the 10 million this year. Next year, we will have 10+ extra in cap space that was saved for him next year. I wouldn't mind just cutting him and have more cap space next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Koko78 View Post
    So not being foolish and cutting the best QB currently on the roster out of some irrational sense of spite without a semblance of a plan to move forward is "defending mediocrity"?

Change solely for the sake of change is not an intelligent way to conduct operations.
    however in this case change for the sake commitment to improvement is ok with me

The GM belongs to me?

Fitz hasn't done anything to deserve a $3,000,000 roster bonus... I'd cut him before the bonus is due, and go with Tarv & the rookie(s) and see who else is available after cuts.
    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

DULCE ET DECORUM EST PATRIA MORI

Before there were "Veterans", there were.... Pennsylvanians.

LOL you guys are funny..

Yes Fitz wont bring us to any playoff births but its not his fault we threw money at him for having a string of good games in the beginning of 2011. But now we have to decide to keep him or save $450k. Um.. Im fine for have TJax and a rookie QB to go on this year. I mean are we really this close to the playoffs? IMO no we need to fill holes and this new regime has to make their mark. oh yeah another thing, get rid of C. Kelsey too!!! we'll be saving $4.1 Milllion by letting him go. that could get us one FA WR and draft for DL 1st rd and QB 2nd rd. We then can load up on some LBs/WRs in the rest of the draft. This class is loaded with good talent not really elite talent. we need to be able to get to the QB. Im tired of watching our DL not performing like their names say they should.

If we make those two cuts we be about $25 Mil under the cap.. thats enough to keep Byrd, Levitre and grab a FA WR.

I say we have to get Geno or Manuel in the third
    General Manager of the New Jersey Mobsters!!

2014 Adopt a Bill: DL Marcell Dareus #99

There's no chance I take a QB at #8 overall. Unless it's Smith, but he won't be there.

There's also no chance FitzyFitz is on this roster next year. I'd rather sign Matt Moore.

If I need to bridge to a better draft class next year with another mediocre veteran, I'm fine with that. Jackson or Moore. Or obviously the Alex Smith trade possibility. All these guys are better than FitzyFitz. The point is to upgrade QB, but I wouldn't reach desperately for a flawed prospect by forced hand. There's just no franchise QB available this off-season. Need to upgrade QB to a reasonable degree and continue to improve the rest of the roster. Defense at #8. WR in the 2nd round.

Draft:
    1st round: Whatever QB OBD thinks is the guy. Having watched most of r USC's games for the last 8 years I'm all in on Barkley. So were here there at 8 you take him all day and night.
    2nd: Assuming we got our QB, I take the best MLB or OLB in the draft a that time.
    3rd: Same as the 2nd unless we luck out with some great WR or TE who happens to fall.
    4th: I take my QB insurance policy. A guy like Jones, or Manuel who needs bench time to improve but has the physical tools.
    5 - 7th BPA. Hopefully a Guard and or backup O Tackle.

FA: WR and a LB and a CB.

After that I don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by likei'vebeentherebefore View Post
    the choice is made the traveler has come

your new name is... Mom'z_Spaghetti
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom'z_Spaghetti View Post
    nnnooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Im GM I see how the draft plays out. If Geno falls to 8 then you have a big decision to make. I usually go by the board but when it comes to a franchise guy things get skewed a bit since a franchise guy over-rides everything else. Geno really seems like the only guy that MIGHT fill that bill. The others are all alot alike each with certain skills and each with glaring flaws. If Genos gone then I fall back to my board then in the 2nd either Manuel, Bray, Landry or even Wilson will be there. I think Fitz isnt as bad as some here believe but I think he is that bad for our needs. We run the ball & we run well sadly our passing game is limited to the screen, dink & dunk game because Fitz has NO long ball consistancy. None. If teams had to actually cover people past 15 yrds our RB's would do even better. So basicly if its Geno he starts if its not it would be T-Jax, Corp & the Rook. Best man wins.
    2009-2014 Adopt A Bill: Eric "Bad Santa" Wood

Quote Originally Posted by EscapedfromNY View Post
    The best time for a new staff to purge is immediately. It sends a message about expectations, accountability and decisiveness. As soon as you start keeping fringe players, you look desperate, accepting of mediocrity, and not having faith in the franchises' ability to get in fresh blood. Always be looking to upgrade, always have a plan B and plan C. Pull the trigger and live with the results.
    I agree with this and OP: stressed WR relashonship, ties to the old head coach, overpaid. That being said this is my warning: Taking a QB in the mid-rounds might give the team false hope going into next years draft. At some point, the franchise will have to pull the trigger, this might not be the year.

I'd realize that we aren't going to fix our Quarterback problem in one offseason.

I build the offense around the future QB with Patterson, the EJ Manuel, then Vance McDonald/Levine Toilolo.

I think it starts with not trying to find the quick answer. In Buffalo we need to learn how to develop a Quarterback, instead of thinking Alex Smith is the miracle that will win a Super Bowl. We need our own guy. Our own Buffalo guy.

So that requires that we take a QB with the tools/upside to become a real NFL starter. Not trying to make it work with QBs with mediocre arms, accuracy issues. Get a Pro QB body. Then we teach him how to read defenses - that's the key. At the same time we do what the Bills have begun to do - let go of borderline NFL players and hopefully start replacing them with talented athletes, so that when Manuel is ready, he inherits some talent on the offense.