Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad that Geno Smith forgot the play?

Default Is it bad that Geno Smith forgot the play?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

In this video for NFL Network, Steve Marriuccio draws up a play on the board, he then asks him a silly question after then goes back to the play he wrote and asks Geno Smith to redo the play, is it a red flag that he forgot one of the key elements to the play? I'm not a QB guru so for those that are would you say this video is a bad indication? Not putting down Geno Smith I like him as our potential QB but I'm wondering if this is more of a bad sign.

Here is the link:
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...aking-his-case
    2014 ADOPT-A-BILL-------> #50 LB KIKO ALONZO

Did you ever forget something?

Quote Originally Posted by PABillsFan23 View Post
    I'm just asking, it has nothing to do with me since I'm not trying to be the #1 pick in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Billsnation2010 View Post
    I'm just asking, it has nothing to do with me since I'm not trying to be the #1 pick in the draft.
    The fact that he is human does.. It happens. Was probably nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by PABillsFan23 View Post
    While I understand u defending geno with "everybody makes mistakes", but for a QB to forget the play after only a few seconds is not good. Buffalo drafts geno, week 17 down by 5 with 1:30 left in 4th. Marrone calls 4 plays. Gotta run no huddle cause there is no timeouts left. Geno calls the plays in the huddle. First three plays work and they are at the 5 yard line with seconds left, clock is ticking. Ball is snapped, geno forgot the 4th play, Stevie cuts out towards the sideline, geno thinks he is slanting in and fires the ball to the hot route(stevie). Instead of Stevie, its Devin mccourty waiting in endzone, game over, bills fail to make playoffs again. Now I know this is an exaggeration but it could happen and probably to a lot of rookie qbs but if u want to be drafted in top 10, this can't happen.

he initially forgot, but he came back and got most of it...and it was after they had been in a conversation about other stuff....overall, I give Geno a "B"

2012 Adopt-A-Bill: T.J. Graham

Mooch did that because he was testing his retention. He will be tested more in the meetings. He probably should have been ready for the test but it is more important how he handled the test from the teams then from Mooch.
    In Dougs We Trust!!!!

Good Luck Stevie!!! You will be missed!!

I just wanted to say I'm not a Geno hater at all, I like the guy and there is a good chance he falls to Buffalo at 8 (never know) this is why I asked, I don't know if this is a bad sign of things to come or just a duh play but I thought him missing the guard pulling to the right was a big miss, wasn't that the most important part of the whole play? I don't know, this could be nothing I hope but I remember other QB's in past drafts drawing plays on the board before at these combines with former coaches and never heard them say "Oh Man" and forget the most important part of the play LOL

you need to watch the video again and check the timeline. that was a 15-minute interview. Mariucci showed him the play earlier on in the meeting. Then they talked about a few other things. Then he made him go back to the board later. So where it seemed like 1-min for us (and thats why we remembered it) it was much longer for him.

Official 2014 Adopt a Bill: Aaron Williams

Quote Originally Posted by bandit33 View Post
    you need to watch the video again and check the timeline. that was a 15-minute interview. Mariucci showed him the play earlier on in the meeting. Then they talked about a few other things. Then he made him go back to the board later. So where it seemed like 1-min for us (and thats why we remembered it) it was much longer for him.
    ^^^^This

2012 Adopt-A-Bill: T.J. Graham

Look you are gonna get the Smith haters saying this is a flag.

The Smith supporters saying no big issue and make excuses.

Bottomline it is a retention test. Coaches do it all the time at ALL positions. And he will see this a bunch of times with every team. So Mooch doing it early should help him understand the type of stressors teams are gonna put on him.

Look it could be an issue. Not just in the game but how fast a player can digest a playbook and be ready in camp times. This type of test goes right to the statements of will need time to learn playbook. Needs to get in the playbook. Etc.

What I did like... hoping he falls to #8, was that Mooch thinks he will be a good West Coast QB, which is sort of what we will be running... hoping he falls to #8...
    Hopelessly devastated Bills fan.

P. Manning spends all day in the film room, if he got it the first time wouldn't spend less time in there?? Retention is more of a concern of mine, that & applying what you know to not make the same mistake again. Chucky's a intimidating guy as well, so I'd probably punch him in that smart mouth if anything.

I felt sorry for him.

That being said - it really means nothing. The kid is hard on himself as it is and seems to be a hard worker, which is what you want. He has a lot more attributes than forgetting a play, in front of TV camera. That was a tricky move by Much and proves nothing.

I expect his stock to rise during the coming weeks.

Is this what passes for entertainment around here?

It is absolutely a bad sign.In the 15 minutes interviews with the teams every team is gonna do the same thing.

If he does that in an interview with an NFL team, its probably a red flag. The thing is all these guys prepare for this and Geno should have been expecting that.

Now all a red flag means is that further investigation is required. Something like that happens in an interview with a guy you are considering taking early at that position and now you check out some other things. Maybe you have a question for other WV prospects to shed more light on Smith's knowledge of the playbook. You press his college coaches a bit on the issue. You go back through the game tape to see if he was confused by the same blitz or coverage multiple times.
    Before you die Lonestar, there is something you should know... I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roomate.

Quote Originally Posted by josh4est View Post
    While I understand u defending geno with "everybody makes mistakes", but for a QB to forget the play after only a few seconds is not good. Buffalo drafts geno, week 17 down by 5 with 1:30 left in 4th. Marrone calls 4 plays. Gotta run no huddle cause there is no timeouts left. Geno calls the plays in the huddle. First three plays work and they are at the 5 yard line with seconds left, clock is ticking. Ball is snapped, geno forgot the 4th play, Stevie cuts out towards the sideline, geno thinks he is slanting in and fires the ball to the hot route(stevie). Instead of Stevie, its Devin mccourty waiting in endzone, game over, bills fail to make playoffs again. Now I know this is an exaggeration but it could happen and probably to a lot of rookie qbs but if u want to be drafted in top 10, this can't happen.
    Yeah but Marrone doesn't make up those 4 plays on the fly, Geno would have practiced and studied those plays all week if not all season. You sound like an idiot trying to compare drawing up a quick play and not remembering the whole thing a minute later after side conversation to scripted plays from a play book that a player would have been using for TC, Preseason, and 17 weeks before getting to our scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by MoormanRules8 View Post
    Yeah but Marrone doesn't make up those 4 plays on the fly, Geno would have practiced and studied those plays all week if not all season. You sound like an idiot trying to compare drawing up a quick play and not remembering the whole thing a minute later after side conversation to scripted plays from a play book that a player would have been using for TC, Preseason, and 17 weeks before getting to our scenario.
    **** you beat me to it.

I think the elephant in the room is the fact we have yet to figure out who "Mariuccio" is.

Sounds like an alias.
    "Beep Beep, Who Got The Keys To The Jeep? Vroom." ~ Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott.

These words were written:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampten View Post
    Call me crazy, but I'd trade Watkins for our first and their (Cleveland) 1st next year.