Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does no David Nelson mean?

Default What does no David Nelson mean?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

With the news that Nelson won't be tendered, it would seem a wrench has been thrown in our receiving core line up. As of right now we have Stevie, TJ, and Smith as the only notables on the team. I liked Nelson, I'll admit that he wasn't a sexy player at the position, but I don't think it can be argued that he was a large, reliable target, something I feel is undervalued, especially on this message board. No one cares to admit that every team needs role players... we generally say, oh he sucked because he wasn't the best at the position.

For starters, we're clearly going to be drafting at least 1 WR, maybe even 2, and we will certainly be bringing in 1 or 2 via FA, and likely a few UDFAs for TC. Obviously it's a numbers game, I'm sure FA will determine how many/when we draft any WRs.

I think that it's become clear that Smith will be exclusively a WR on this team in the coming year. No more mumbo jumbo of the wildcat... no work on running or passing for him (although I wonder if he'll still play ST at all... anyone familiar with the type of personnel Crossman likes to use?). I think he can certainly replace the production of Nelson. He's a few inches shorter, but certainly not a small guy, and he's definitely more able to rack up YAC than Nelson was.

I expect us to draft a "#1" type WR and move Johnson to the slot. Beyond that it's tricky... will Smith or TJ seem more snaps? What type of additional receiver (aside from Nix's "tall always open" type guy) do you think we may get, given Smith and TJs skill sets?

Stevie
    1st WR pick
    Smith
    TJ
    2nd WR pick/FA
    FA/UDFA
    -G

"I don't like the Dolphins, I don't like the Jets, I don't like the m- f- Patriots! I don't like the Browns 'cuz they start with a B! Let's go Bills Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba Bills, Let's go Bills!" -If you hear this being cheered at Bills games... I am likely the one you are hearing!

No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.

Tender him he cost 1.3 million. resign him he cost less than 1.3 million. That's what it means.

To me this shows the FO feels that the WR pool is deep and they can pick 1 thats better and more consistant. Maybe DN's injury is scaring them off as well. Nelson was okay but they can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bills View Post
    Tender him he cost 1.3 million. resign him he cost less than 1.3 million. That's what it means.

I think it means this. Bills don't believe that he will find a better deal in FA so they can resign him for minimum, or upgrade via FA

Nelson is a #3-#5 WR for us, not a #1 or #2. Good depth, can start in a pinch kind a guy
    Woods, Williams and Watkins.... the 3 double U's

Made in USA NFL gear...
    http://www.nflshop.com/search/made%20in%20usa

That Stevie is almost certainly going to line up in the slot...

A few novels short of a full bookcase....

It means we could be going to a two TE base set. I could be wrong but that's what I'm thinking might happen.
    2014 Draft *Traded with Cleveland for #4 overall. We gave up #9, next years 1st round pick and 4th round pick.

RD 1) #4 SAMMY WATKINS WR CLEMSON
    RD 2) #41 CYRUS KOUANDJIO OT ALABAMA
    RD 3) #71 PRESTON BROWN ILB LOUISVILLE
    RD 4) #109 ROSS COCKRELL CB DUKE
    RD 5) #149 TRADED
    RD 5) #153 CYRIL RICHARDSON OG BAYLOR
    RD 6) TRADED
    RD 7) #221 RANDELL JOHNSON OLB FLORIDA ATLANTIC
    RD 7) #237 SEANTREL HENDERSON OT MIAMI

To me it simply signals that he is a certain type receiver that neither Marrone nor Hackett see as fitting their style of offense.

It means Chan Gailey was a terrible talent evaluator and thought he could win with below average guys; and didn't. So sick of seeing the Bills throw out there UDFA's every year and try and sell the fans that they think we can win with them. No you can't, when it comes down to it our offense is starved of first round, elite talent at the wide receiver position. The earliest draft pick we have is TJ Graham and nobody has any idea of how he'll pan out of the next 2-3 years.

It also means we aren't going to be running 4-5 wide sets all the time like Gailey wanted to. I think the Bills will run a lot of 2-3 wide sets with a tight end and a single back in the back field.

I agree that Nelson is def a #3 WR at best, so I won't be heart broken if he leaves. Just another average player rolling through, who I think can be replaced pretty quickly.

With the way the tendered offer works, can't they decide which round to tender him at, determining how much he costs? Why is it 1.3 million for sure? The way the tenders work/contracts isn't something I've ever taken a lot of time to try and figure out.
    -G

"I don't like the Dolphins, I don't like the Jets, I don't like the m- f- Patriots! I don't like the Browns 'cuz they start with a B! Let's go Bills Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba Bills, Let's go Bills!" -If you hear this being cheered at Bills games... I am likely the one you are hearing!

Maybe, but I'd be surprised if he wanted to return to the Bills. What the move means to me is that this is the start of another housecleaning and rebuild - where is the nucleus to prove that isn't the case? Two of their best players are about to become FAs (Byrd and Levitre) - and they have so many holes that they cannot hope to fill them, and won't be able to because they are subpar in drafting quality players.

Still doesn't explain why we dump him but keep Smith who is not as good and costs a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloSuperBowlParade View Post
    With the news that Nelson won't be tendered, it would seem a wrench has been thrown in our receiving core line up. As of right now we have Stevie, TJ, and Smith as the only notables on the team. I liked Nelson, I'll admit that he wasn't a sexy player at the position, but I don't think it can be argued that he was a large, reliable target, something I feel is undervalued, especially on this message board. No one cares to admit that every team needs role players... we generally say, oh he sucked because he wasn't the best at the position.

For starters, we're clearly going to be drafting at least 1 WR, maybe even 2, and we will certainly be bringing in 1 or 2 via FA, and likely a few UDFAs for TC. Obviously it's a numbers game, I'm sure FA will determine how many/when we draft any WRs.

I think that it's become clear that Smith will be exclusively a WR on this team in the coming year. No more mumbo jumbo of the wildcat... no work on running or passing for him (although I wonder if he'll still play ST at all... anyone familiar with the type of personnel Crossman likes to use?). I think he can certainly replace the production of Nelson. He's a few inches shorter, but certainly not a small guy, and he's definitely more able to rack up YAC than Nelson was.

I expect us to draft a "#1" type WR and move Johnson to the slot. Beyond that it's tricky... will Smith or TJ seem more snaps? What type of additional receiver (aside from Nix's "tall always open" type guy) do you think we may get, given Smith and TJs skill sets?

Stevie
    1st WR pick
    Smith
    TJ
    2nd WR pick/FA
    FA/UDFA
    I think people are reading too much into the WR situation. Guys like Donald Jones and Nelson are a dime a dozen, remember both weren't even drafted. Plus you have to figure that Marrone and his staff want their own guys who fit into their system.

Either way we are going to have multiple options available in both FA and the draft.

And if it's true this Patterson kid compares to TO and other big, physical WR's I wouldn't be surprised if he's our pick at #8 assuming he's still on the board.

I agree with this also.

Not a bad point about utilizing less 4 and 5 wide sets compared to the previous offense. 3WR + TE + RB might be something we see a lot more of in passing situations.

Would that put Dorin Dickerson in a better spot as far as a chance to make this team next year? I didn't particularly like his catching skills this last year... which is disappointing because on paper it's a good idea to use him to create mismatches.

If we do carry less WRs this year, what type of TE might we get to play alongside Chandler (or start in his place for the beginning of next year, if it comes to that). Someone like Dickerson or Keller?
    -G

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamsWreckingCrew View Post
    I think people are reading too much into the WR situation. Guys like Donald Jones and Nelson are a dime a dozen, remember both weren't even drafted. Plus you have to figure that Marrone and his staff want their own guys who fit into their system.

Either way we are going to have multiple options available in both FA and the draft.

And if it's true this Patterson kid compares to TO and other big, physical WR's I wouldn't be surprised if he's our pick at #8 assuming he's still on the board.
    Patterson is a slight WR with great speed but limited experience as a WR - not exactly a polished product to pick up at 8 and is much more of a project than people realize. You'll be cursing the pick for years if the Bills go that way.

Who gives a crap about where any WRs were drafted. That doesn't mean anything in the NFL - Stevie Johnson was a 7th rounder. I think what you say about Jones is valid, but Nelson was much better than Jones. A guy who caught first downs for well over 50% of his receptions and caught 61 passes, and 5 TDs in one year isn't just a run of the mill back up that bounces around rosters in the NFL. He's a valuable guy, and certainly much more valuable than several players on the team who have been retained and make more money.

I was all for Barnett and Wilson being cut. Those moves are fine with me - I've been a proponent of upgrading Wilson's position, and for all I care the entire LB roster is expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by dddaryl View Post
    I think it means this. Bills don't believe that he will find a better deal in FA so they can resign him for minimum, or upgrade via FA

Nelson is a #3-#5 WR for us, not a #1 or #2. Good depth, can start in a pinch kind a guy
    You realize Nelson was a undrafted free agent and was already making jack-squat for salary right? This has nothing to do with money, and everything to do with talent and being the right fit.

For those who feel he can be signed for less, what do you feel his value should be at monetarily? I don't think 1.3 is all that much for his production; considering what we're paying a guy like Kelsay or Smith... how much does that hump Lindell make?
    -G

Bills can't do anything until FA starts in a couple weeks...so naturally everyone is nervous until FA and the draft is completed.

Bills will be getting talent at WR & TE to compliment SJ. The waiting part does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by BLO-N-SD View Post
    You realize Nelson was a undrafted free agent and was already making jack-squat for salary right? This has nothing to do with money, and everything to do with talent and being the right fit.
    We'll see. The Bills just failed to tender a guy a small salary in a position with little depth - who had more receptions than Boldin, Julio Jones, DeSean Jackson and Vincent Jackson in 2011. Undrafted or not, that is very solid production and depth to just let walk with no one in waiting that has shown any capability to step up and be an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by indybillsfan View Post
    To me it simply signals that he is a certain type receiver that neither Marrone nor Hackett see as fitting their style of offense.
    You mean one that can catch the ball?!