Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bills Draft: Round 2 #46: LB Kiko Alonso

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

Quote Originally Posted by sechristbmw View Post
    Thank you Smashmouth.

This draft is an Epic Fail.

By the start of Round 2 - all but one team had selected a QB (the little old Bills). All the other 31 teams passed on QB. Its clear now that Nix picked the weakest QB draft in years to select the Franchise guy.

We would have had our pick at #41, or had to do a slight trade up.

Woods looks like he runs routes. Be nice for him to get some footwork in with Steve.

Then we do our usual Bills thing and go off the wall. The smart teams - 49ers, Ravens, Falcons, Patriots all got much better and productive prospects.
    I'm usually a glass is half empty guy with regards to the Bills, but I'll try to give a positive spin on what's gone down so far:

EJ Manuel:

Was he a reach? Absolutely. Just like I predicted for the last few months, these QBs aren't anywhere close to as good as the media wanted us to believe they are, and they've all free fallen in the draft. However, the positive is that I don't think there's any question that the Bills got the QB with the highest upside. I've compared Manuel to Colin Kaepernick a couple times, and believe he can become that type of player. He's got huge size, a big arm, great mobility and quality accuracy. He might not make an impact this year, but as Mike Mayock said, he's a piece of clay that can be molded and if done properly his upside is enormous. Considering that this team was never going to win the Super Bowl this year, having a developmental QB with upside is much preferable to having a guy who is more ready now but has a lower ceiling.

Robert Woods:

I'm a huge fan of this guy. He'll step in on day 1 and start across from Stevie because he's already so polished as a route runner. I think he's got decent size, good speed and excellent hands. He's also extremely effective running after the catch and could easily have a long career in the NFL as a high quality #2 WR. He was by far the best WR available in round 2, and I'm glad we took him.

Kiki Alonso:

Not everyone might be high on this guy, but I like him. He's an athletic linebacker who has tons of experience dropping into coverage because teams always had to throw to play catch up against Oregon. He's got good size, quality change of direction skills and decent strength. He can play all 3 spots in a 4-3 defense and he has extensive experience in Chip Kelly's 3-4 which used a ton Nickel which is what we're going to do. Most importantly, he's going to probably send Kelvin Sheppard to the bench which couldn't come soon enough. Sheppard is a disaster in coverage, and Alonso should really help in that area. Had 4 interceptions, 7 passes defended and 2 forced fumbles as a Senior and we could really use some play making ability like that at the LB spot.

Marquise Goodwin:

Undersized receiver with world class speed. People can look at the lack of production at Texas, but reality is that all they let him do was run deep routes, WR screens and end arounds. Then he went to the Senior Bowl and no one could cover him. He made tons of plays and consistently blew past defenders on vertical routes. With a QB in the fold who has a huge arm, having a guy who can stretch the field in a hurry is a good weapon to have.

I like what we've done so far. Bucking the trend of recent Buddy Nix drafts, we finally went out and got some athletes with real talent. We got two sub 4.4 receivers, a physically imposing QB with great intangibles and what I think will be a 3-down LB. So far, I'm happy...

Quote Originally Posted by jrober38 View Post
    I'm usually a glass is half empty guy with regards to the Bills, but I'll try to give a positive spin on what's gone down so far:

EJ Manuel:

Was he a reach? Absolutely. Just like I predicted for the last few months, these QBs aren't anywhere close to as good as the media wanted us to believe they are, and they've all free fallen in the draft. However, the positive is that I don't think there's any question that the Bills got the QB with the highest upside. I've compared Manuel to Colin Kaepernick a couple times, and believe he can become that type of player. He's got huge size, a big arm, great mobility and quality accuracy. He might not make an impact this year, but as Mike Mayock said, he's a piece of clay that can be molded and if done properly his upside is enormous. Considering that this team was never going to win the Super Bowl this year, having a developmental QB with upside is much preferable to having a guy who is more ready now but has a lower ceiling.

Robert Woods:

I'm a huge fan of this guy. He'll step in on day 1 and start across from Stevie because he's already so polished as a route runner. I think he's got decent size, good speed and excellent hands. He's also extremely effective running after the catch and could easily have a long career in the NFL as a high quality #2 WR. He was by far the best WR available in round 2, and I'm glad we took him.

Kiki Alonso:

Not everyone might be high on this guy, but I like him. He's an athletic linebacker who has tons of experience dropping into coverage because teams always had to throw to play catch up against Oregon. He's got good size, quality change of direction skills and decent strength. He can play all 3 spots in a 4-3 defense and he has extensive experience in Chip Kelly's 3-4 which used a ton Nickel which is what we're going to do. Most importantly, he's going to probably send Kelvin Sheppard to the bench which couldn't come soon enough. Sheppard is a disaster in coverage, and Alonso should really help in that area. Had 4 interceptions, 7 passes defended and 2 forced fumbles as a Senior and we could really use some play making ability like that at the LB spot.

Marquise Goodwin:

Undersized receiver with world class speed. People can look at the lack of production at Texas, but reality is that all they let him do was run deep routes, WR screens and end arounds. Then he went to the Senior Bowl and no one could cover him. He made tons of plays and consistently blew past defenders on vertical routes. With a QB in the fold who has a huge arm, having a guy who can stretch the field in a hurry is a good weapon to have.

I like what we've done so far. Bucking the trend of recent Buddy Nix drafts, we finally went out and got some athletes with real talent. We got two sub 4.4 receivers, a physically imposing QB with great intangibles and what I think will be a 3-down LB. So far, I'm happy...
    jrober, you really nailed this draft. And I agree. Offense looks much better now. Too bad Kelce gotten taken early.

All Credit goes to AM33 for this Signature!

Adopt a Bill 2013: Robert Woods, WR

Quote Originally Posted by Jdot View Post
    No team wins Super Bowls in August.
    Super Mario Bills Co. Est. March 15th, 2012

Alert Watch this video on Kiko Alonzo vs. USC...dude is sick!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrrBn2ff4js

Now I see why they got him...he is quick to the hole and hits the ball carrier hard...based on Pettine always blitzing, he is a perfect fit.

2012 Adopt-A-Bill: T.J. Graham

Heard he's full of bad intentions when he plays! He's mean and fast! Love it!
    What would you be doing if nothing were impossible...

He made a ton of INTs as well. Im really happy with the draft so far and we still have four more picks to add depth at OL and then D

2013 Draft

I Have no clue but just want a QB

Follow me on twitter --------> @Whenry77

he will be blitzing all day long!!!

Both offense and defense should be very exciting!

Love it!

Just wish we'd have snagged a solid TE. Kinda disappointed there buts alls good
    Riding the Bills War Wagon till the wheels fall off, then we're gonna drag that mother to the superbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyWolverine View Post
    Love it!

we can always get a Chandler-type TE rounds 4-7...so I'm not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyWolverine View Post
    Love it!

Maybe that won't be a big focal point to this offense.
    What would you be doing if nothing were impossible...

He was dominant for Oregon all year.

I dont like my LB's crazy. Wait, YES I DO! Bradham and Alonzo!

The more I watch him the more I love the pick.

He's seems like an intense player and has great instincts.
    Adopt a Bill 2013
    Robert Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Sdigity2 View Post
    we can always get a Chandler-type TE rounds 4-7...so I'm not worried.
    ...that's not a good thing.

I'm hoping for Dion Sims or Levine Toilolo at some point.
    Go Bills!

DRAFT
    1. Jake Matthews, LT, Texas A&M
    2. Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
    3. Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
    4. Trai Turner, OG, LSU
    5. Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
    7. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami

Acquisitions: Corey Graham, Chris Williams, Brandon Spikes, Anthony Dixon, Mike Williams.

LOVE this pick....solid player. Can't wait to see him play for us.

Adopted already
    Adopt a Bill 2013: Kiko Alonso LB

i watched the video and he's fast and blitz a lot but i dont know... i might get flamed here but i saw him like a chris kelsay always an inch away from a big play... and not a very good tackler (from what i saw in this video)
    Twitter: @XBXOXY

Jerry Sullivan about the Bills:
    "You could say they deserved better, but losing teams develop losing habits."

Gregg Easterbrook:
    "What is it about the Bills' organization since the Super Bowl run? Doing nothing has become its Zen. "

1st play of video - USC RB runs 20 yards through the middle of the line and Kiko stands there dancing instead of attacking.

The overall video is good but not a good way to start a video..lol
    Proud Owner of 2 Season Tickets
    Section 200, Row 6, Seat 27 & 28

I will always BILLEVE

Quote Originally Posted by xbxoxy View Post
    i watched the video and he's fast and blitz a lot but i dont know... i might get flamed here but i saw him like a chris kelsay always an inch away from a big play... and not a very good tackler (from what i saw in this video)
    Exactly what I saw. I saw a lot of bad reads to be honest. Also looks tiny out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBills4Life View Post
    I dont like my LB's crazy. Wait, YES I DO! Bradham and Alonzo!
    Yes please!

What I saw from that:

Positives
    High effort player who doesn't give up on plays
    shows good fundamentals taking on blockers
    shows a good feel for the rush
    good in coverage with pretty great closing speed
    knack for turnovers

Negatives
    Not a downhill player who meets RBs in the hole (unless scripted blitzes)
    Gets overpowered despite decent technique
    Pursuit angles need work - ends up trailing quite often
    Inconsistent tackler
    Not an enforcer - drag down tackler rather than a hitter

I think he's a decent player, but I don't think he's a 3 down LBer. He's a liability on runs inside the tackles. I think he'll be a great moveable chess piece for Pettine to bring pressure, but certainly won't be a solution to our inside run stopping problems. I think he's a passing down LBer.
    Go Bills!

DRAFT
    1. Jake Matthews, LT, Texas A&M
    2. Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
    3. Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
    4. Trai Turner, OG, LSU
    5. Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
    7. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami

Acquisitions: Corey Graham, Chris Williams, Brandon Spikes, Anthony Dixon, Mike Williams.

i didn't really see what you were talking about but i did notice that he is good in coverage and has good ball handling skills
    Goonies Never Say Die
    2013 Adopt-a-Bill: Cordy "The Tank" Glenn

2013 BBMB NFL Season Pickem