Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: The year that the Bills make the playoffs...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    5,132

    Default The year that the Bills make the playoffs...

    Buffalo Bills

    FREE iPad Download

    The year the Bills make the playoffs to end the long drought, it will not be an easy stroll through the park. We've been imprisoned for way too long to be lucky enough for a prison guard to leave a back door wide open. We're going to have to break our way out while fighting every last guard to stand in our way.

    In NFL terms, we're not going to all of a sudden have an easy 10-6 season to clinch that first playoff birth since '99. This year sets up perfectly for this vision, this theory. Here we are at 4-7, was 3-7, and staring down a situation where we have to win every single game remaining. Falcons are having a down year, Bucs and Jaguars aren't having great seasons, and it shouldn't be too crazy to think we can beat the Dolphins. Then comes the moment where we have some demons to exercise, that final guard to take down, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. If we get to that point at 8-7, the team will have all the confidence in the world.

    Do I think it's gonna happen this year? I'd like to, but it looks like an extremely tall order. I do think there has been a lot to build on towards next year though.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    6,677

    Default

    If we hit on even one draft pick next year in a position of need I think this team becomes a real playoff contender next year.
    -Aaron Williams for Pro Bowl 2015
    -2014 Adopt-a-Bill: Corey Graham


    You're either with us or against us.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBillsWillRiseAgain View Post
    If we hit on even one draft pick next year in a position of need I think this team becomes a real playoff contender next year.
    The team is definitely heading in the right direction. We've had a share of lucky bounces this year, but a couple of extra unlucky bounces. I still believe if we don't make it this year, we're going to have to scratch and claw our way to it next year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBillsWillRiseAgain View Post
    If we hit on even one draft pick next year in a position of need I think this team becomes a real playoff contender next year.
    And regarding the draft, I have a ton of faith in this team's drafting abilities after this past one. Kiko, Goodwin, and Woods all seem like home runs and Manuel doesn't seem too bad either.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,337

    Default

    I think they either make it 2013 or 2015.

    2014...it just gets a little tricker for Buffalo.

    So either run the table in 2013 or it's 2015.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RalphWilson'sWar View Post
    I think they either make it 2013 or 2015.

    2014...it just gets a little tricker for Buffalo.

    So either run the table in 2013 or it's 2015.
    Is there logic behind this, or is it just instinct? Not trying to pick an argument, just curious to why you say it like that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    6,677

    Default

    I think he's referring to the tough schedule the Bills will have next year but I may be wrong.
    -Aaron Williams for Pro Bowl 2015
    -2014 Adopt-a-Bill: Corey Graham


    You're either with us or against us.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billsfan589 View Post
    Is there logic behind this, or is it just instinct? Not trying to pick an argument, just curious to why you say it like that.
    First, we will have to weather the Sophomore slump of our rookies. Presumably, E.J., Kiko and Woods, some or all will suffer a little bit of a slump, most do. Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore...they all were hit a bit their second seasons...this group will be no exception.

    Second, this league has a way of figuring you out and THEN we see just how good you are. So I assume teams will spend the next 7 months of February - September studying the Hackett Offense and throwing wrenches in and it will be up to E.J.'s development and Hacketts ability to get better and win even when they take away what you like.

    And finally,

    2014 will see Buffalo's Defense play:
    Aaron Rodgers
    Peyton Manning
    Matthew Stafford
    Jay Cutler
    Tom Brady (Twice)
    Perhaps even some combination of Terry Bridgewater(Jaguars), Johnny Manziel(Cleveland) and Tajh Boyd (Minnesota)

    So I guess I am saying the QB competition is taking a step up in 2014.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RalphWilson'sWar View Post
    First, we will have to weather the Sophomore slump of our rookies. Presumably, E.J., Kiko and Woods, some or all will suffer a little bit of a slump, most do. Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore...they all were hit a bit their second seasons...this group will be no exception.

    Second, this league has a way of figuring you out and THEN we see just how good you are. So I assume teams will spend the next 7 months of February - September studying the Hackett Offense and throwing wrenches in and it will be up to E.J.'s development and Hacketts ability to get better and win even when they take away what you like.

    And finally,

    2014 will see Buffalo's Defense play:
    Aaron Rodgers
    Peyton Manning
    Matthew Stafford
    Jay Cutler
    Tom Brady (Twice)
    Perhaps even some combination of Terry Bridgewater(Jaguars), Johnny Manziel(Cleveland) and Tajh Boyd (Minnesota)

    So I guess I am saying the QB competition is taking a step up in 2014.
    Makes sense, I wasn't giving too much thought over next year's schedule. Then again, strength of schedule is generally a tough thing to forecast

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vero Beach Florida
    Posts
    7,296

    Default

    Super Bowl in 2 years!!!!!....I wish!

    ישוע המשיח הוא אלוהים
    Sebastian River Sharks Football 2014. Go Sharks!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bath, NY
    Posts
    7,119

    Default

    I think the odds are slim that there will not be at least two non-division winners in the AFC that don't have records of 10-6 or better. I'm not even trying to figure out the tie breakers. That said, I think EJ Manuel may have matured quite a bit by next season. I would not be surprised at all by the Bills having a wild card spot next season.
    My adopt-a-Bill is Cordy Glenn.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    584

    Default

    We have great pieces of weapons around EJ. But we need to understand why the experts say we have a great Rookie WR group. It's sounds great, but in reality the experts did not say we have a great WR group. Having a great ROOKIE WR group means that out of all the other teams wide outs that are rookies we have some of the best. We need to start having a GREAT WR GROUP, period. Stevie can't do it alone. As a matter of fact, when we start seeing the reality and remove the covers from our faces, Stevie is not a True #1. I love him at slot and a #2. He is not a leader, he is not a team mate you want near your Rookies. Someone like Fitzgerald would be perfect to have in a trade deal.

    Let's make it happen then we can talk about play offs every year for our Bills.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Who's to say the Broncos don't win the Super Bowl this year and Peyton retires a champion? But yeah our schedule next year, based on how the teams are this year, is shaping up to be even more brutal than it was this year, which is impressive. I see us finishing 8-8. If we land 2 draft picks this upcoming drafts like we did in April, then I see an even more serious contender than we are (even though it's kind of silly to be saying that as we're sitting at 4-7). Ya never know, but if EJ can up his game even more, or play the way he did today pretty consistently, we'll be very solid.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,657

    Default

    Unfort, we suffered one too many losses on the road and too many within the conference to make the playoffs this year
    It's all about 2014 and beyond
    It's a shame cos I do think 8-8 or 9-7 with a great conference sneaks in this year
    It's baby steps and I think a more reasonable goal is playing .500
    And that may still prove to be difficult
    Even the year we started 0-8 we still won 4 games in the 2nd half
    TB, Jack, Atl are all not going to lie down
    Hasn't TB now won 2 in a row?
    Sure the Phins game is outside in Dec but they could be playing for a WC spot
    Then there's NE

    jc

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Can we get a winning record first
    THEVOICE
    You can't fight for the future, because the future is now, the time to fight is now. Nothing is meaningless, at the end of the day... progress is everything. ~K2 Gunner
    Original Gunslinger - Reachin For Halos - Billiever

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,657

    Default

    We need both a winning record AND a winning Conference record
    Not to mention our fan base has to keep trading away our best players with every win and loss - lol
    Last week our corners were busts (hilarious)
    This week we no longer have use of our lead RB and #1 WR
    Next week I suppose we're trading away Eric Woods cos he can't run block?
    It's tough having a top 10 rushing team that can't run block, oh bay...

    jc

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RalphWilson'sWar View Post
    First, we will have to weather the Sophomore slump of our rookies. Presumably, E.J., Kiko and Woods, some or all will suffer a little bit of a slump, most do. Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore...they all were hit a bit their second seasons...this group will be no exception.

    Second, this league has a way of figuring you out and THEN we see just how good you are. So I assume teams will spend the next 7 months of February - September studying the Hackett Offense and throwing wrenches in and it will be up to E.J.'s development and Hacketts ability to get better and win even when they take away what you like.

    And finally,

    2014 will see Buffalo's Defense play:
    Aaron Rodgers
    Peyton Manning
    Matthew Stafford
    Jay Cutler
    Tom Brady (Twice)
    Perhaps even some combination of Terry Bridgewater(Jaguars), Johnny Manziel(Cleveland) and Tajh Boyd (Minnesota)

    So I guess I am saying the QB competition is taking a step up in 2014.


    I would agree with you, except the fact that EJ and Hackett haven't shown, God I hope so at least, anything of what they're are capable of. I would Hope Hackett would improve his playbook too, and his playcalling will no doubt get better. EJ looked good today, so idk

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    9,694

    Default

    The NFL is a "win now" sports league. its very tough to project into the future, even one season.

    Cases in point - Atlanta, Houston and maybe even San Francisco. At the end of last season those three teams all appeared positioned to be super contenders. The 49ers may yet. But they are not a shoo-in. The points people have made on the schedule about 2014 are valid. 2015 is so far away in NFL terms, that it is likely 25 to30% of the roster turns over by then. Steve Johnson, CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson will all have a lot more mileage on their legs. Same with Mario and Kyle Williams.

    2015 still comes down to EJ's development. If he is a top 15 QB, the Bills should be in the playoffs in 2014, and 2015 both. If not, they probably won't be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •