Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to go in round 1? O vs D?

Default Where to go in round 1? O vs D?

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

A lot of the Bills drafts over the last 4-5 years we've all had a pretty good idea in which direction they could go with their first pick. This year, I think it may be the toughest to try and guess. Reading some of these threads over the last 2-3 weeks, seems like the board is split on whether to use it on the defense of side of the ball and try and solidify the D or go the offensive route and try and help our struggling offense.

When you look at CBS Sports 2014 Draft rankings, most of the top 15-20 players are WR, LB and OT. Some have made the case that we could draft an OT in the 1st and put him at RT but typically when you're drafting an OT with a 1st round pick, you put him at RT for a year or two with the intentions of moving him to LT eventually. So that leaves us with WR and LB as on of the most prominent positions within the top 15-20 picks.

Do you continue to curround Manuel with weapons and try and take a Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans or do we try and solidify this defense and have potentially a top 5 defense and go ILB/OLB? I'm torn.

I look at the WR class this year and it is deep....very deep. CBS Sports has approximately 18 players projected to go in the first three rounds. I am a Mike Evans fan, I think this offense needs a true #1 receiver with the size he has. People make the arguement that he can't run the full route tree and what not but you can't ignore the fact that the guy dominated the SEC's best teams for two years. But I look at someone like CJ Mosley, a thumper who could finally fix our run defense once and for all next to Kiko. We have the pass rush, we have the guys in the secondary, we are just missing another stud LB who could take this defense to the next level. Same could be said for Barr or Mack. They are athletic enough to play ILB, OLB and DE. Versatility like that is hard to pass up.

Where SHOULD we go, offense or defense?

Offense all the way. We have a young quarterback that needs weapons. We need a go-to playmaking receiver...

Offense as a whole is the biggest struggle right now and behind that is run defense.

Don't be surprised when Mike Evans isn't a first round pick. I think OBD will choose the best player available. No telling who that will be at this point.

Sorry, but to answer your question, as of right now, I feel that OL should be the highest priority.

Offense TE or OT
    2014 Mock Draft

1.) #9 Jake Matthews 6'6 308lbs. OT Texas A&M
    2.) #41 Troy Niklas 6'7 270lbs. TE Notre Dame
    3.) #73 Kareem Martin 6'6 272lbs. DE North Carolina
    4.) #109 Ka'Deem Carey 5'9 207 RB Arizona
    5.) #149 Louchiez Purifoy 6'0 190lbs. CB Florida
    6.) Traded
    7.) #224 Colt Lyerla 6'4 242lbs. TE Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Grundy208 View Post
    Sorry, but to answer your question, as of right now, I feel that OL should be the highest priority.
    A stud at RT or guard would really help EJ...

Quote Originally Posted by whorlnut View Post
    A stud at RT or guard would really help EJ...
    I definitely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by whorlnut View Post
    Offense all the way. We have a young quarterback that needs weapons. We need a go-to playmaking receiver...
    I hope we take BPA. don't care if it is QB, LT, WR, S.
    as long as the team is improving.

OBD has owned the second round for a while now. I hope that continues.

Sammy Watkins is going to be ROTY.
    And sig this.... Watkins will set the Bears on their ears opening day. 120 yds, 2 TD's and a return for TD.

That is entirely dependent on who is available.
    Buffalo Crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibhappy View Post
    On the final point, so what. If brains, were so important, why does the Ivy League produce so few NFL quarterbacks?

The draft isn't until May.

BPA-1st round money should be on a great player and not on a lesser player at a position of need.

That being said I hope the BPA is an offensive player.

We obviously have big needs on the OL and at TE.

I wouldn't be sad at all to see them spend 2nd and 3rd round choices on the OL.

I think that 1st round money on OL is kinda poor value when we have a good LT already.

If we draft like we did last year my head will pop in excitement seriously they did an amazing job..

I really love Taylor Lewan as a RT. Thats still my pick. I have my eyes on 2 big guys, Lewan in round 1 and Cyril Richardson in round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    If we draft like we did last year my head will pop in excitement seriously they did an amazing job this year..
    if you were drafted by the Bills (or signed by them) you are either a huge improvement or no longer w/ them.

It has been a blast watching the new regime put their stamp on this team.

And sig this.... Watkins will set the Bears on their ears opening day. 120 yds, 2 TD's and a return for TD.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBills4Life View Post
    I really love Taylor Lewan as a RT. Thats still my pick. I have my eyes on 2 big guys, Lewan in round 1 and Cyril Richardson in round 2.
    Not sure we take a RT or LG in the first.
    He would have to be on the same level as Levitre before OBD pulls the trigger on that pick.

I like the two OL from Tennessee: Richardson and James. Both will likely be 2-3 round picks.

BPA. Best Player Available. Do not focus on one position, or, one player.

And, trade down. Get more picks. Trade down twice if you can.

That being said, you can get an OG in round 2, so no Guards. And no running backs or centers. Probably no QB, and no punter, kicker or nose tackle.
    If the Bills are drafting 18th to 25th there should be at least one or two players still available off this list:

TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech – 6’5”, 260-pound Junior
    TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina – 6’4”, 245-pound Junior
    WR Marqise Lee, USC, Junior
    WR Jordan Mathews, Vandy,
    DE Trent Murphy, Stanford, Sr.
    DT RaShede Hageman, Minnesota, Sr.
    LB Ryan Shazier, Ohio St., Jr.
    LB Vic Beasley, Clemson, Jr.
    CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan St., Sr.

At least one of these guys should check out and be available later in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills View Post
    I like the two OL from Tennessee: Richardson and James. Both will likely be 2-3 round picks.
    I can see that. I just like Lewan nastiness. He will fit nice in Buffalo. He would start day 1 and we never have to worry about him on the right side. Some of the other guys I would worry about.

When I look at the Bills there is legit NFL talent everywhere, even TE. Unless Chris Hairston has a great offseason and secures RT i really dont see legit talent at RT or LG. TE can be upgraded, but im fine with Chandler and Moeaki,

I can see that. I just like Lewan nastiness. He will fit nice in Buffalo. He would start day 1 and we never have to worry about him on the right side. Some of the other guys I would worry about.

When I look at the Bills there is legit NFL talent everywhere, even TE. Unless Chris Hairston has a great offseason and secures RT i really dont see legit talent at RT or LG. TE can be upgraded, but im fine with Chandler and Moeaki,
    I just don't know about drafting an RT with your first round pick.