Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Bills & Byrd close to a deal

Default Rumor: Bills & Byrd close to a deal

Buffalo Bills

FREE iPad Download

I went ahead and put "rumor" in the title because that's exactly what it is. But take it for what its worth and people who have been on this message board for a long time know I've never posted anything like this before BUT.......I do know someone who spent 2 years with the Bills roster back in the mid-2000's and who he says still talks to one player (won't tell me who) on the roster (has to be Fred Jackson but he won't tell me). I say Fred Jackson because the guy I know came from NFL Europe around the same time Fred Jackson did.

He messaged me this morning on Facebook and said that the rumor going around the franchise is that the Bills and Byrd have never been closer to a deal than they are right now and that's why the Bills haven't tagged Byrd yet compared to other teams who have already began tagging potential free agents. Said that the hang up is guaranteed money and the Bills are expected to get it done this weekend or he will be tagged.

Flame away!
    **Doug Whaley Supporter**

makes sense, if they weren't close would have used tag by now, the longer it goes without the tag, the better

​A True American Hero

"If ever a man had it all, it would have to be me"

"living is easy with eyes closed"

​"believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear"

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGatorsBuffaloBills View Post
    Flame away!
    The FO is on FIRE!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There's Red White and Blue in the END ZONE!!!

2014 Adopt-a-Bill: Manny Lawson

Byrd and the Bills may be closer than ever, but what does that even mean? Your Mock offseason would be awesome btw.
    Playoffs in 2014!

On March 1st 2013 the Bills tagged Jairus Byrd. Guess what today is? Maybe something happens today.

This would be GREAT news if true- and would truly demonstrate that things are genuinely different than they've been recently. "Building through the draft" only has credence and credibility when you actually retain the players you've drafted whose talent you've cultivated- and letting go of a 27-year old two-time All-Pro, three-time Pro Bowl, playmaking and oftentimes game-changing elite safety in a pass-prevalent league would be a big mistake... but one that it appears the Bills are trying desperately not to make.

I REALLY hope this is true and I would give the Bills' brass a ringing endorsement if it is.
    GM of the...

I can understand reluctance on guarantees (regardless of player).

Such a violent game, can be left in really terrible position. As an example, let's say Tony Romo's back never heals correctly.

$41,681,000 of dead money is a lot, even for Jerry Jones.

very cool i hope it happens this weekend!!
    go bills
    go sabres
    go knicks
    go sox

steve johnson is our future star
    Fred jackson is my adopted player this year!!
    freddie freddie!!
    should change my username but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by hemma View Post
    I can understand reluctance on guarantees (regardless of player).

Such a violent game, can be left in really terrible position. As an example, let's say Tony Romo's back never heals correctly.

$41,681,000 of dead money is a lot, even for Jerry Jones.
    I'm not sure, but I think there may be insurances to manage these injury costs.
    Playoffs in 2014!

I have been so conflicted with this situation. I was done with him last year and wanted us to trade him. Then I saw him play again and he really is a difference maker. The guy just makes plays. I know we need to look at all the young players coming up for new contracts but we have cap room and if we draft a WR this year I think it marks the end of Stevie's tenure with us. I also don't think we re-sign Spiller which I am not really happy about. Off topic, back on, Go Bills Bring Byrd back into the Fold.
    May The Schwartz Be With You.

Adopt-a-Bill 2013-14 Nickell Robey "The Diminutive DB"

I'm revealing your source as Gibran Hamdan. I find that more interesting. My guess is Gibran Hamdan.

so it begins...
    "Golden teeth and golden tones, welcome to my presence"

BS. Fred Jackson would have no insight on contract negotiations. Nice try.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    This would be GREAT news if true- and would truly demonstrate that things are genuinely different than they've been recently. "Building through the draft" only has credence and credibility when you actually retain the players you've drafted whose talent you've cultivated- and letting go of a 27-year old two-time All-Pro, three-time Pro Bowl, playmaking and oftentimes game-changing elite safety in a pass-prevalent league would be a big mistake... but one that it appears the Bills are trying desperately not to make.

I REALLY hope this is true and I would give the Bills' brass a ringing endorsement if it is.

Amen, I think even the fact that they're obviously trying is worth, perhaps, a dull-buzzing endorsement. I always wondered if a real issue was when Byrd was asked the question, "Do you want to be here?" I know it's a business and that shouldn't matter, but I still think the question is asked and carries some weight. Therefore, a Byrd signing would be promising on two levels; the FO retaining talent and Byrd showing, on some level, that he's committed to the Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by havoc_84 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think there may be insurances to manage these injury costs.
    Such a high chance of a claim, I bet the premiums would be ginormous (+ nonrefundable, straight down the toilet).

Sounds plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBills4Life View Post
    I'm revealing your source as Gibran Hamdan. I find that more interesting. My guess is Gibran Hamdan.
    Nope.
    **Doug Whaley Supporter**

Quote Originally Posted by Sanborntobewild View Post
    [/B]

Amen, I think even the fact that they're obviously trying is worth, perhaps, a dull-buzzing endorsement. I always wondered if a real issue was when Byrd was asked the question, "Do you want to be here?" I know it's a business and that shouldn't matter, but I still think the question is asked and carries some weight. Therefore, a Byrd signing would be promising on two levels; the FO retaining talent and Byrd showing, on some level, that he's committed to the Bills.
    Yeah, it at least appears that they're stepping up to the plate and trying to hammer out a deal- and that they know that Byrd is a unique and special talent and not easily replaced... to say the least.
    GM of the...

Quote Originally Posted by TheMANuel3 View Post
    BS. Fred Jackson would have no insight on contract negotiations. Nice try.
    Yet people believe Kelsay when he said they were 1 mil apart. At least I think it was Kelsay. It was some Bills player. Fred may not have direct insight... but players talk to each other. It may not be Fred, but I believe they are close to making a deal regardless.

I am more optimistic about Byrd resigning now than ever before. If it happens I will congratulate OBD, but making what should be a no brainer of a resigning when you have a ton of cap room will not absolve them of past sins and be a guarantee of a total culture change. It will however be a great start. Get it done OBD.